EMF induced in solenoid by current in a loop.

In summary, a square loop with side-length a is placed at the center of a long thin solenoid with radius r (where r>a), length l, and N turns. The plane of the loop is perpendicular to the solenoid's axis. Using the equations for mutual inductance and flux, we can find the emf induced in the solenoid. The induced emf is equal to the product of mutual inductance and the change in current in the loop. Assuming the magnetic field produced by the solenoid is \mathbf{B}=\mu_{0}nI_{sol}\:\mathbf{e}_{z}, where n=\dfrac{N}{L}, the flux through the loop
bobred

Homework Statement

A square loop with side-length a is positioned at the centre of a long thin solenoid, which has radius r (with r>a), length l and N turns. The plane of the loop is perpendicular to the axis of the solenoid, find [itex]V_{emf}[/itex] induced in the solenoid

Homework Equations

[itex]M=\frac{\Phi}{I}[/itex]

[itex]\Phi=\mathbf{B}\cdot\mathbf{A}[/itex]

[itex]V_{emf}=-M\dfrac{\mathbf{\textrm{d}}I}{\textrm{d}t}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The magnetic field created by the current flowing through the loop is complex and the flux varies throughout the solenoid. By using the fact that the mutual inductance is the same for the coil and the solenoid we can find the emf generated in the solenoid.
If we take the magnetic field produced by a solenoid as

[itex]\mathbf{B}=\mu_{0}nI_{sol}\:\mathbf{e}_{z}[/itex] where [itex]n=\dfrac{N}{L}[/itex]

Then the flux through the square loop is

[itex]\Phi=\mathbf{B}\cdot\mathbf{A}=\mu_{0}nI_{sol} \times a^{2}=\mu_{0}na^{2}I_{sol}[/itex]

Now the mutual inductance is

[itex]M=\dfrac{\Phi}{I_{sol}}=\mu_{0}na^{2}[/itex]

The induced emf is [itex]I_{loop}=I_{0}\sin\omega t[/itex]

[itex]V_{emf}=-M\dfrac{\mathbf{\textrm{d}}I_{loop}}{\textrm{d}t}=-\mu_{0}na^{2}\omega I_{0}\cos\omega t[/itex]

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are leaving out some things in the problem statement. What is the current through the square loop?

Hi, yeah the current in the loop should be [tex]I_{loop}=I_{0}\sin\omega t[/tex].
Sorry, ignore the expression after 'The induced emf is'

Related to EMF induced in solenoid by current in a loop.

1. What is EMF induced in a solenoid?

EMF, or electromotive force, is the potential difference created in a solenoid due to the movement of electrons. It is a measure of the energy transferred to the circuit by the movement of electrons.

2. How is EMF induced in a solenoid?

EMF is induced in a solenoid when there is a changing magnetic field passing through the loop of the solenoid. This changing magnetic field creates a current in the loop, which in turn creates an EMF.

3. What is the relationship between current in a loop and EMF induced in a solenoid?

The EMF induced in a solenoid is directly proportional to the current in the loop. This means that as the current in the loop increases, the EMF induced in the solenoid also increases.

4. How does the number of turns in a solenoid affect the EMF induced?

The number of turns in a solenoid has a direct impact on the EMF induced. The more turns in the solenoid, the greater the EMF induced. This is because the changing magnetic field is passing through more turns, resulting in a larger induced current and EMF.

5. Can the direction of the EMF induced in a solenoid be changed?

Yes, the direction of the EMF induced in a solenoid can be changed by changing the direction of the magnetic field passing through the loop. This can be achieved by changing the direction of the current flowing through the loop or by changing the orientation of the solenoid with respect to the external magnetic field.