EMF across a loop with one end in a parallel plate capacitor

In summary, the conversation is discussing the conditions needed for an electrical current to exist and the assumption of a steady current. The equation I = JA, where J is the current density and A is the cross-sectional area, is mentioned. The question of whether the conduction material between the plates of a charged capacitor would produce a current is also brought up, with the conclusion that there would be no current. However, this is deemed incorrect.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-9-1_14-58-1.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming the current is steady,
I = JA, where J is the current density and A is the cross- sectional area
##E = J/\sigma##
Can I take ##\sigma ## uniform here ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is needed for an electrical current?
All conditions fulfilled?
How about your assumption?

The sigma can be taken uniform here.

Pushoam said:
Assuming the current is steady
Which current? Are you assuming that the capacitor is charging?

cnh1995 said:
Which current? Are you assuming that the capacitor is charging?
Current in the loop.
Is the other end touching the capacitor?

efdee said:
The sigma can be taken uniform here.
Then, the potential difference across the resistance will be V = Eh
So, current I = Eh/R , but this creates perpetual motion machine which is wrong.

Suppose you took any piece of conducting material and suddenly placed it between the plates of a charged capacitor. Would you get any current in the material? If so, would the current last very long? Why or why not?

It is not very clear. However I believe
there is no current at all !

efdee said:
It is not very clear. However I believe
there is no current at all
!

that is incorrect

why would you say that ?

Related to EMF across a loop with one end in a parallel plate capacitor

1. What is EMF across a loop with one end in a parallel plate capacitor?

EMF stands for electromotive force and it is the voltage generated in a circuit due to the presence of an electric field. In the case of a loop with one end in a parallel plate capacitor, the EMF is the difference in potential between the two plates of the capacitor.

2. How is EMF calculated in this scenario?

The EMF across a loop with one end in a parallel plate capacitor can be calculated by using the formula EMF = Q/C, where Q is the charge stored in the capacitor and C is the capacitance of the capacitor.

3. What factors affect the EMF across a loop with one end in a parallel plate capacitor?

The EMF across a loop with one end in a parallel plate capacitor is affected by the distance between the plates, the area of the plates, the material of the plates, and the charge stored in the capacitor.

4. How does the EMF across a loop change when the capacitor is charged or discharged?

When a capacitor is charged, the EMF across the loop will increase as the charge stored in the capacitor increases. Conversely, when a capacitor is discharged, the EMF across the loop will decrease as the charge decreases.

5. What is the significance of understanding EMF across a loop with one end in a parallel plate capacitor?

Understanding the EMF across a loop with one end in a parallel plate capacitor is important in many applications, such as in electronic circuits and power systems. It also helps in understanding the behavior of electric fields and how they can be harnessed for various purposes.