Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Email Notification for POTW

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Hi everyone, :)

I suggest sending a email notification to people who have answered a POTW question when the solution to that question is posted. I know this would be tedious if done manually, but I just wanted to bring it to attention in case an automated and easy to implement method exist.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

I suggest sending a email notification to people who have answered a POTW question when the solution to that question is posted. I know this would be tedious if done manually, but I just wanted to bring it to attention in case an automated and easy to implement method exist.
One way to do this would be to subscribe to the thread after you've answered one or more of the POTWs. But this isn't an automatic process; the person who submitted the answer has to do this on their own (and it's really easy too -- just click the thread tools link at the top of the POTW thread, then select "Subscribe to this Thread" and then select "Instant notification by email" as the notification type). I don't know if this entire process can be automated, but I'll look into it.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

I suggest sending a email notification to people who have answered a POTW question when the solution to that question is posted.
Sorry, I'm not quite clear on what you mean here. Do you mean when Chris or Jameson post the official solutions as the second post to the original thread? Or do you mean when other people submit solutions?

I know this would be tedious if done manually, but I just wanted to bring it to attention in case an automated and easy to implement method exist.
You could also subscribe to the appropriate forums. That might ease the amount of manual subscribing you need to do. To do that, you can either go to Forum Tools for that forum, or do it straight from the main forums page by clicking the little green circle with the white check mark in it to the right of the forum name about 3/4 of the way to the right.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Sorry, I'm not quite clear on what you mean here. Do you mean when Chris or Jameson post the official solutions as the second post to the original thread? Or do you mean when other people submit solutions?
I interpreted it as when Jameson or I post the answers, an email notification would be sent out.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Sorry, I'm not quite clear on what you mean here. Do you mean when Chris or Jameson post the official solutions as the second post to the original thread?
I interpreted it as when Jameson or I post the answers, an email notification would be sent out.
Yes, this is exactly what I meant. :)

Subscribing to the POTW threads manually is easy and something I hadn't thought about. Thanks for both of your explanations about it. :)