EM waves -- Energy Calculation

In summary, the conversation was about a question regarding energy density and finding the RMS value of E. The person was unsure about using the equation υ=εE^2 and whether it was the max value. They also didn't understand part (B) of the question and were trying to solve it using just the book, but were having trouble. The other person suggested looking at a resource for energy density and making an honest attempt at the solution. Eventually, the person was able to solve the question. Overall, the conversation revolved around understanding and solving the given question.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

upload_2017-5-22_17-49-41.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I didnt understand much the question. Should I use, ##υ=εE^2## ? Then I ll take rms value of that E.But I am not sure that is that the max value.Is it max value ? I didnt understand part (B)

Physics news on Phys.org
kuruman said:
You should make an honest effort to show an attempt at a solution. What part of the problem don't you understand? If it's energy density, look here
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/engfie.html
we didnt see this subject yet..So I am trying to solve the question using just book , and I didnt quite understand.We have energy density and we need to find rms value of E.I wrote like ##u=εE^2## cause it also contains the energy of B-field.So this value is actually used for a instant time.But I think I can take is as a max value of E then ##E_{rms}=E_{max}/(\sqrt 2)##

I didnt understand part b cause I didnt understand what the question wants from us.

First, you missed the factor of ##\frac{1}{2}## in the energy density.
Part (b) asks you to find distance ##r## from a 7.5 kW radio transmitter so that the energy density in a sphere of radius ##r## has the value 4×10-14 J/m3.

I solved thanks

Related to EM waves -- Energy Calculation

1. How do electromagnetic waves carry energy?

Electromagnetic waves carry energy through the interaction between electric and magnetic fields. As the wave travels, the electric field creates a magnetic field and vice versa, resulting in a continuous transfer of energy.

2. What factors affect the amount of energy carried by an EM wave?

The amount of energy carried by an EM wave is affected by its amplitude (strength), frequency (number of waves per second), and the medium it is traveling through. In general, higher amplitude and frequency waves carry more energy, while the medium can either increase or decrease the amount of energy carried.

3. How is the energy of an EM wave calculated?

The energy of an EM wave can be calculated using the formula E = hf, where E is energy in Joules, h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 Joule seconds), and f is frequency in Hertz. Alternatively, E = hc/λ can be used, where c is the speed of light (3 x 10^8 meters per second) and λ is wavelength in meters.

4. Can EM waves lose energy as they travel through space?

No, EM waves do not lose energy as they travel through space. This is because they do not require a medium to travel through, unlike mechanical waves which can lose energy due to friction or absorption by the medium.

5. How is the energy of an EM wave related to its intensity?

The intensity of an EM wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the energy of the wave increases, so does its intensity. Intensity is also affected by the size of the wave's electric and magnetic fields, with larger fields resulting in a higher intensity.