EM Wave Propagation Homework.Incident/Transmitted Power Density

In summary, the E field with a frequency of 2.45*10^9 Hz passes through a material with properties of e_r = 10, u_r = 1, and sigma = 1 (S/m). The incident E field has a peak magnitude of 300 V/m at the air to surface boundary. The incident power density at the material surface can be found using p_avg = 1/2*Real[E×H] with a value of approximately 120 W/m^2. The transmitted power into the material at the surface boundary can be calculated by finding the loss tangent of the material, which is 0.6329 rad^-1 or 18
derek l

Homework Statement

An E field with f = 2.45*10^9 Hz passes through a material with the following properties

e_r = 10
u_r = 1
sigma = 1 (S/m)

The Incident E field has peak magnitude of 300 V/m at the air to surface boundary.

(a) *solved* Find the incident power density at the material surface

p_avg = 1/2*Real[E×H]

because η_o = 120π in free space

p_avg = (0.5)(300)(0.795) ≅ 120 W/m^2 similarly 300^2/2*η_o *correct*(b) Calculate transmitted power into the material at the surface boundary

Homework Equations

loss tangent of material = 0.6329 rad^-1 = 18°

The Attempt at a Solution

η = 106e^(j*18°)

H = 0.795e^(-αz)
E = H*η = 84.25

E = 84.25e^(-αz)

p_avg = 1/2*Real[E×H] = 33.48 *incorrect*

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not up on all the relationships between the E and H field amplitudes for the incident, transmitted and reflected waves. But I will point out a couple of things.
derek l said:

The Attempt at a Solution

η = 106e^(j*18°)

H = 0.795e^(-αz)
You didn't state what ##\eta## represents (maybe impedence?) nor how you arrived at η = 106e^(j*18°). So, it's hard to check your work here.

You are taking H for the transmitted wave at z = 0 to have the same value (0.795 units) as H for the incident wave. But, isn't there also a reflected wave? Shouldn't the amplitude of H for the transmitted wave at the interface be less than the amplitude for H for the incident wave?

TSny said:
I'm not up on all the relationships between the E and H field amplitudes for the incident, transmitted and reflected waves. But I will point out a couple of things.

You didn't state what ##\eta## represents (maybe impedence?) nor how you arrived at η = 106e^(j*18°). So, it's hard to check your work here.

You are taking H for the transmitted wave at z = 0 to have the same value (0.795 units) as H for the incident wave. But, isn't there also a reflected wave? Shouldn't the amplitude of H for the transmitted wave at the interface be less than the amplitude for H for the incident wave?
Oh yes I'm sorry. η is impedance. I calculated η for the material given the material properties. I agree with your point I will try to find the amplitude for H of the transmitted wave

Related to EM Wave Propagation Homework.Incident/Transmitted Power Density

1. What is EM wave propagation?

EM wave propagation is the process by which electromagnetic waves travel through space. These waves are made up of electric and magnetic fields that oscillate perpendicular to each other and to the direction of wave propagation. Examples of EM waves include radio waves, microwaves, visible light, and X-rays.

2. What factors affect EM wave propagation?

The key factors that affect EM wave propagation include the frequency of the wave, the characteristics of the medium through which it is traveling, and any obstacles or obstructions in the path of the wave. Other factors such as atmospheric conditions, temperature, and humidity can also have an impact on EM wave propagation.

3. How is incident/transmitted power density calculated?

Incident power density is the amount of electromagnetic energy per unit area that is incident on a surface. It is calculated by dividing the incident power by the surface area. Transmitted power density, on the other hand, is the amount of electromagnetic energy per unit area that passes through a surface. It can be calculated by dividing the transmitted power by the surface area.

4. What is the relationship between incident/transmitted power density and EM wave strength?

The incident and transmitted power density are directly proportional to the strength of the EM wave. This means that as the incident or transmitted power density increases, the strength of the EM wave also increases. Similarly, a decrease in incident or transmitted power density results in a weaker EM wave.

5. How does EM wave propagation impact communication systems?

EM wave propagation plays a crucial role in communication systems as most forms of wireless communication rely on the transmission of EM waves. The characteristics of EM wave propagation, such as attenuation, reflection, and refraction, can affect the quality and reliability of the communication signal. Understanding and predicting EM wave propagation is essential for designing efficient and effective communication systems.