EM wave propagation direction.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the direction of the electric field and the direction of propagation for a given EM wave in vacuum. It is determined that the electric field oscillates along the direction -1\hat{i} \sqrt{3}\hat{j}, and the phase argument can be used to determine the direction of propagation by picking out the components of the wave vector. The conversation also discusses finding the associated \vec{H} field using the determinant method, and it is determined that the exponential part should be kept separate while the unit vector is used in the calculation.
Lavabug

Homework Statement

Given the following EM wave propagating in vacuum, find the direction along which the electric field oscillates and the direction of propagation of the wave:

[tex] \vec{E} = (-3\hat{i} + 3\sqrt{3}\hat{j}) 10^4 e^{i[\frac{\pi}{3} (\sqrt{5}x + \sqrt{5/3} y10^7 - 8.1246 *10^{15} t]} [/tex]

Btw how can I prevent the thread template from reappearing every time I click preview post? It is quite annoying.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the electric field oscillates along the direction [itex]-1\hat{i} \sqrt{3}\hat{j}[/itex], by looking at the amplitide. But how do I determine the direction of propagation from the phase argument? Do I just treat the x and y in the phase as if they were unit vectors of [itex]\vec{k}[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty much. You know a wave propagating in the k direction has a phase given by [itex]i(\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega t)[/itex], so just pick out the components of k.

Thanks, I see it now. One more question, if I am asked to find the associated [itex] \vec{H}[/itex] field by calculating [itex] \frac{1}{\mu_0 c} \hat{u}\times \vec{E} [/itex], where û is the normalized wave vector, how would I split up the components of E for the determinant? Would it be like:[tex] E_x = -3\cdot10^4 e^{i[\frac{\pi}{3} (\sqrt{5}x + \sqrt{5/3} y10^7 - 8.1246 *10^{15} t]}[/tex][tex]E_y = 3\sqrt{3}\cdot10^4 e^{i[\frac{\pi}{3} (\sqrt{5}x + \sqrt{5/3} y10^7 - 8.1246 *10^{15} t]} [/tex]

for example? Or do I also have to split up the phase/exponent for each component of E?

You can keep the exponential part separate; it's part of the amplitude of the electric field. I would write the electric field as the product of a magnitude and a unit vector:
[tex]\vec{E} = \left(-\frac{1}{2}\hat{i}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\hat{j}\right)(3\times10^4~\mathrm{V/m})e^{i(\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega t)}[/tex]The only part you need for the determinant is the unit vector. The rest just scales the result of the cross product.

As a scientist, it is important to be precise and clear in our language and notation. In this case, the notation used for the electric field is not standard, so it is important to clarify what is meant by the vector components. Assuming that the electric field is given in Cartesian coordinates, the direction of oscillation would be along the vector (-3, 3√3) in the xy-plane. However, it is not clear what is meant by the phase argument in the exponential term. Is it a function of x, y, and t or is it a constant? This needs to be clarified in order to determine the direction of propagation. Additionally, it would be helpful to specify the units for x, y, and t in order to properly interpret the phase argument. Once these details are clarified, we can determine the direction of propagation by considering the direction of the wavevector, which is given by the gradient of the phase.

Related to EM wave propagation direction.

What is an EM wave propagation direction?

EM wave propagation direction refers to the direction in which an electromagnetic wave travels through space. This direction is perpendicular to both the electric and magnetic fields of the wave, and is typically represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of propagation.

What factors affect the EM wave propagation direction?

The EM wave propagation direction can be affected by the properties of the medium through which it is traveling, such as its density and composition. Additionally, the direction can also be influenced by external factors, such as the presence of other electromagnetic fields or obstacles in the path of the wave.

How is the EM wave propagation direction measured?

The EM wave propagation direction is typically measured using a device called a polarimeter. This instrument measures the polarization of the electric and magnetic fields of the wave and can determine the direction of propagation based on this information.

Can the EM wave propagation direction be changed?

Yes, the EM wave propagation direction can be changed by altering the properties of the medium through which it is traveling. For example, if the medium is a crystal with a specific crystal structure, the direction of propagation can be changed by rotating the crystal or applying pressure to it.

Why is understanding EM wave propagation direction important?

Understanding EM wave propagation direction is important in many fields, including telecommunications, radar technology, and astronomy. By knowing the direction of propagation, we can accurately predict the behavior of electromagnetic waves and use them for various applications.