EM Field: Angle between H and x-axis; frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the angle between E and H fields and the direction of a wave along the z-axis. The conversation suggests looking at the function sin(wt - kz) to determine the direction of the wave, and determining the direction of H based on its orthogonality with E and the given E/H ratio. The conversation also clarifies the values for k and β and how they relate to the direction and polarity of the wave. The steps for solving the problem include finding the direction of the wave, determining the direction of H, and using known values to find the frequency.
tquiva

Homework Statement

Hello all, could someone please assist me with the following problem?

ScreenShot2013-02-18at115014AM.png

Homework Equations

f = ω/2π
λ = (2π)/β

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already made an attempt to part (b), (c), & (d) of this problem. Below is my work.

ScreenShot2013-02-18at115717AM.png

• I'm having trouble with part (a). I drew the coordinate system but am not sure how to go about finding the angle between H and the x-axis. Am I supposed to use the H found in part (b) to answer part (a)?
    From part (b), I notice that H has a component on the x-axis. Does this mean that the angle between H and the x-axis is 0?

• For part (d), I know the equation in obtaining frequency is f = ω/2pi. However, there is no value of ω given in the electric field of this problem. It's just "ω" ... I went through my book, and am still a little lost. Is there a way to find ω?

Much help is needed, and I appreciate anyone taking the time to look at this. Many thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
a) You know the angle between the E and H fields is π/2, so if the angle between the E field and the x-axis is arc tan (-2√3/2) = -60 deg., how can the angle between the H field and the x-axis be π/2?

I would first establish the direction of the wave along the z axis: is it going in the + or - direction? Because the H field direction will be such that E x H gives the + direction.

Look at sin(wt - kz). Fix t = 0 and draw it along the z axis so now you're looking at the wave along the z axis at different spots. Look at z = 0, what is the function? Then look at a small positive spot z = z0, what is the function there? So is the function going in the +z or -z direction? Remember, t = 0 in both places.

You know the angle between the E and H fields is π/2 so H is 90 deg. away from E. And now that you know the direction of the wave you can determine the direction (remove the ambiguity) of H. As for magnitudes, you know that E/H = η and you're given E.

The rest is just realizing that k = 2π/λ etc.

tquiva said:
[*]I'm having trouble with part (a). I drew the coordinate system but am not sure how to go about finding the angle between H and the x-axis. Am I supposed to use the H found in part (b) to answer part (a)?
You really need to do part c first. Otherwise, all you know is that H is orthogonal to E.

From part (b), I notice that H has a component on the x-axis. Does this mean that the angle between H and the x-axis is 0?
[/LIST]
No. E and H are orthogonal in a plane wave..

• For part (d), I know the equation in obtaining frequency is f = ω/2pi. However, there is no value of ω given in the electric field of this problem. It's just "ω" ... I went through my book, and am still a little lost. Is there a way to find ω?
But you know the wave number k = 100π and k = 2π/λ so you know λ and you know c = λf. Get the idea?

Much help is needed, and I appreciate anyone taking the time to look at this. Many thanks in advance!

See above.

rude man said:
a) You know the angle between the E and H fields is π/2, so if the angle between the E field and the x-axis is arc tan (-2√3/2) = -60 deg., how can the angle between the H field and the x-axis be π/2?

I would first establish the direction of the wave along the z axis: is it going in the + or - direction? Because the H field direction will be such that E x H gives the + direction.

Look at sin(wt - kz). Fix t = 0 and draw it along the z axis so now you're looking at the wave along the z axis at different spots. Look at z = 0, what is the function? Then look at a small positive spot z = z0, what is the function there? So is the function going in the +z or -z direction? Remember, t = 0 in both places.

You know the angle between the E and H fields is π/2 so H is 90 deg. away from E. And now that you know the direction of the wave you can determine the direction (remove the ambiguity) of H. As for magnitudes, you know that E/H = η and you're given E.

The rest is just realizing that k = 2π/λ etc.

Thank you so much for this detailed response. I'm sorry but I'm still a bit lost.

What is small positive spot z = z0? I'm still trying to figure out how to determine if the direction is +z or -z? How do I find this polarity?

Also, I notice that you said sin(wt - kz). Does β = 100π or does k = 100π? Or are these the same? I know β is the propagation direction and k is the wave number? Also, does the negative sign follow the value for β such that β = -100π?

If it's not too much trouble, will you please let me know if I got part (b) and (c) correct?

I have a feeling that the angle between H and the x-axis is 90 degrees?

[/B]
tquiva said:
Thank you so much for this detailed response. I'm sorry but I'm still a bit lost.

What is small positive spot z = z0? I'm still trying to figure out how to determine if the direction is +z or -z? How do I find this polarity?

OK, let's look at the wave sin(wt - βz). BTW yes, my k is your β.
Fix t = 0, then draw sin(-kz) along the z axis. It starts by going negative, crosses the z axis at z = π/k, goes positive until it crosses the z axis again at kz = 2π, then repeats.

Then on top of that draw sin(kz - kz0) where z0 is a small distance to the right of z=0. That's the same wave as seen at a distance z0 ahead of z = 0. Now pick any point, say at z > z0 on the axis. Which of the two waves looks like it's ahead of the other?

Another way: fix z = 0, then graph sin(wt - kz) = sin(wt) for two different times, say t = 0 and t = t1 > 0. Same wave, looked at z = 0, at different times. Which of the two waves looks like it's ahead of the other?
So does sin(wt - kz) go in the + or - z direction?

Also, I notice that you said sin(wt - kz). Does β = 100π or does k = 100π? Or are these the same? I know β is the propagation direction and k is the wave number? Also, does the negative sign follow the value for β such that β = -100π?

k = β, I use k, you use β. k = 100π and is always positive.
If it's not too much trouble, will you please let me know if I got part (b) and (c) correct?

You got β right. If your teacher told you the sign of β gives the direction, that would give it to you. It would not give you insight into how the wave propagates. I prefer to always let β > 0 = 2π/λ. Once you get the direction right I'll tell you the sure-fire way of telling direction just by looking at sin(wt - kz).

Remember c = λf? That should be enough for you to derive w and f.

I have a feeling that the angle between H and the x-axis is 90 degrees?
EDIT: Oops, I misread.

No, wrong.

In a plane wave the E and H fields are perpendicular and E x H gives the direction of the wave, so once you know the direction you know if H is 90 deg. clockwise or counterclockwise to E.

Last edited:

Related to EM Field: Angle between H and x-axis; frequency

1. What is the angle between the magnetic field (H) and the x-axis in an EM field?

The angle between the magnetic field (H) and the x-axis in an EM field is known as the angle of declination, and it can vary depending on the location and orientation of the EM field.

2. How is the angle between H and x-axis related to the direction of an EM wave?

The angle between H and x-axis is related to the direction of an EM wave through the right-hand rule. The direction of the EM wave is perpendicular to both the electric field (E) and magnetic field (H) vectors, with the H vector being at an angle of 90 degrees to the x-axis.

3. Does the angle between H and x-axis affect the strength of an EM field?

Yes, the angle between H and x-axis can affect the strength of an EM field. If the angle is 0 degrees (parallel to the x-axis), the field will be at its maximum strength. As the angle increases, the strength of the field decreases.

4. How does the frequency of an EM field affect the angle between H and x-axis?

The frequency of an EM field does not directly affect the angle between H and x-axis. However, it can indirectly affect it by changing the wavelength of the EM wave, which in turn can affect the angle of declination.

5. What is the significance of the angle between H and x-axis in terms of EM field measurements?

The angle between H and x-axis is significant in EM field measurements as it helps determine the direction and strength of the field. It is also important for understanding the propagation of EM waves and their behavior in different mediums.