Elliptical partially polarized beam and its intensity

This will give us the intensity of the unpolarized light, and we can divide that by the initial intensity I[0] to find the fraction. In summary, we can use the equations I = I[0]*cos^2(θ) and I = I[0]*(1+pcos2φ)/(1+p) to find the intensity when the transmission axis makes an angle θ with the x-axis and the maximum intensity transmitted when the analyzer transmission axis makes an angle of 30° with the x-axis. The answer for part (a) does not depend on the fraction of unpolarized light, and for part (b) we can determine the maximum intensity and fraction of unpolarized light using the given information
mogul28

Homework Statement

A partially elliptically polarized beam of light, propagating int he z direction, passes through a perfect linear polarization analyzer. When the transmission axis of the analyzer is along the x direction, the transmitted intensity is maximum and has the value of 1.5 I[0]. When the transmission is along the y direction, the transmitted intensity is minimum and has the value of I[0].
(a) What is the intensity when the transmission axis makes angle θwith the x-axis? Does your answer depend on what traction of the light is unpolarized?
(b) The original beam is made to pass first through a quarter-wave plate and then through the linear polarization analyzer. The quarter-wave plate has its axes lined up with the x and y axes. It is now found that the maximum intensity is transmitted through the two devices when the analyzer transmission axis makes an angle of 30° witht the x-axis.
Determine what is this maximum intensity is and determine the fraction of the incident intensity which is unpolarized.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

first i found V and then used it to find fractional polarization then
I= I[max]((1+pcos2phi)/(1+p))
but I'm lost at b since i don't know how to apply quarter wave plate information to get teh I[max]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

(a) To find the intensity when the transmission axis makes an angle θ with the x-axis, we can use the equation I = I[0]*cos^2(θ). This means that the intensity will depend on the angle θ, as well as the initial intensity I[0]. The answer does not depend on what fraction of the light is unpolarized.

(b) To find the maximum intensity transmitted when the analyzer transmission axis makes an angle of 30° with the x-axis, we can use the equation I = I[0]*(1+pcos2φ)/(1+p), where p is the fractional polarization. In this case, we know that the quarter-wave plate has its axes lined up with the x and y axes, so the angle φ is 45°. We also know that the maximum intensity is transmitted, so we can set I = I[max] and solve for p. Once we have p, we can plug it back into the equation to find the maximum intensity transmitted. To determine the fraction of the incident intensity which is unpolarized, we can use the equation I[unpolarized] = I[0]*(1-p).

Related to Elliptical partially polarized beam and its intensity

1. What is an elliptical partially polarized beam?

An elliptical partially polarized beam is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has both electric and magnetic fields oscillating in different directions, resulting in an elliptical shape. It is partially polarized because the electric field has a preferred direction, but the magnetic field does not.

2. How is the intensity of an elliptical partially polarized beam measured?

The intensity of an elliptical partially polarized beam is measured by calculating the average value of the square of the electric field amplitude. This is known as the degree of polarization and ranges from 0 (completely unpolarized) to 1 (fully polarized).

3. What factors can affect the intensity of an elliptical partially polarized beam?

The intensity of an elliptical partially polarized beam can be affected by several factors including the angle of incidence, the orientation of the beam, the wavelength of the radiation, and the properties of the material it passes through.

4. How does the degree of polarization change as the beam propagates?

The degree of polarization of an elliptical partially polarized beam can change as it propagates through different materials or mediums. This is due to the interaction between the beam and the material, which can alter the orientation of the electric field and thus change the polarization state.

5. What are the applications of elliptical partially polarized beams?

Elliptical partially polarized beams have various applications in fields such as optics, telecommunications, and materials science. They are used for polarization-sensitive measurements, imaging, and manipulation of materials at the nanoscale. They are also used in devices such as polarizers, wave plates, and filters.