Elliptical Orbits and Angular Momentum

In summary: You could also go through some of the videos in this course on Classical Mechanics by Walter Lewin of MIT.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Why is the magnitude of Angular Momentum for an elliptical orbit as such?
$$l = mr^2\dot{\phi}$$
where ##\dot{\phi}## represents angular momentum.

I have always assumed that angular momentum was $$l = r \times P = mr \times V = mrVsin(\theta) = mr^2\dot{\phi} sin(\theta)$$
And since the angle (taken to be ##\theta##) between the ##r## and ##V## vectors isn't always a right angle, shouldn't angular momentum for elliptical orbits be defined with the sine term?

Assistance is greatly appreciated!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
WWCY said:

Homework Statement

Why is the magnitude of Angular Momentum for an elliptical orbit as such?
$$l = mr^2\dot{\phi}$$
where ##\dot{\phi}## represents angular momentum.

I have always assumed that angular momentum was $$l = r \times P = mr \times V = mrVsin(\theta) = mr^2\dot{\phi} sin(\theta)$$
And since the angle (taken to be ##\theta##) between the ##r## and ##V## vectors isn't always a right angle, shouldn't angular momentum for elliptical orbits be defined with the sine term?

Assistance is greatly appreciated!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The correct expression is
$${\mathbf V} = \dot{r}\, {\mathbf e}_r + r \dot{\phi} \, {\mathbf e}_{\phi}, $$
so
$$ {\mathbf r \times V} = r \dot{\phi}\, {\mathbf e}_r \times {\mathbf e}_{\phi}$$

Here, ##r = |{\mathbf r}|,## and ##{\mathbf e}_r##, ##{\mathbf e}_{\phi}## are the unit vectors in the ##r## and ##\phi## directions (so ##{\mathbf e}_r \times {\mathbf e}_{\phi} = {\mathbf e}_z##).

Be very careful to write vectors when you should have vectors, and scalars when you should have scalars.

Last edited:
WWCY, your expression is correct but not very useful. Depending on the path of the particle, θ could be a very complicated function of r and ∅. Ray Vickson's expression is always correct.

Ray Vickson said:
The correct expression is
$${\mathbf V} = \dot{r}\, {\mathbf e}_r + r \dot{\phi} \, {\mathbf e}_{\phi}, $$

Could you elaborate on the meaning of this expression? I don't think I've seen something similar before.

Ray Vickson said:
$$ {\mathbf r \times V} = r \dot{\phi}\, {\mathbf e}_r \times {\mathbf e}_{\phi}$$

How do we arrive at this expression? Also, is there not a ##r^2## in the final term for magnitude?

Thanks both for the replies. Apologies if this is an elementary question.

WWCY said:
l=mr2˙ϕ
There is (should be) an r2 in Ray Vickson's expression. The theory involves the use of polar coordinates and corresponding unit vectors (radial and transverse coordinates). If you are not familiar with that, then how did you arrive at your original expression for the angular momentum, which I quoted above?

Chandra Prayaga said:
There is (should be) an r2 in Ray Vickson's expression. The theory involves the use of polar coordinates and corresponding unit vectors (radial and transverse coordinates). If you are not familiar with that, then how did you arrive at your original expression for the angular momentum, which I quoted above?

Yes, of course ##{\mathbf l} = r^2 \dot{\phi} \, {\mathbf e}_z##.

Chandra Prayaga said:
My first exposure to angular momentum came from introductory texts that did not use such a theory.

Do you mind guiding me through the steps?

Thank you!

That treatment is available in any standard textbook on Classical Mechanics, such as the one by Taylor. It takes some time to work through it.

Related to Elliptical Orbits and Angular Momentum

1. What is an elliptical orbit and how does it differ from a circular orbit?

An elliptical orbit is a type of orbit in which the object follows an oval-shaped path around another object, such as a planet orbiting a star. This differs from a circular orbit, where the object follows a perfectly round path at a constant distance from the center object. In an elliptical orbit, the distance between the two objects varies throughout the orbit.

2. How does angular momentum play a role in elliptical orbits?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. In an elliptical orbit, the object is constantly changing direction due to the varying distance between the two objects. This change in direction means that the object's angular momentum is constantly changing as well. This allows the object to maintain its orbit and not be pulled into the center object.

3. What factors affect the shape of an elliptical orbit?

The shape of an elliptical orbit is primarily affected by two factors: the mass of the two objects and the distance between them. The greater the mass of the two objects, the more elliptical the orbit will be. Similarly, the closer together the two objects are, the more circular the orbit will be.

4. Can an object in an elliptical orbit change its angular momentum?

Yes, an object in an elliptical orbit can change its angular momentum. This can happen due to external forces, such as gravitational pull from other objects, or due to internal forces, such as the object's own propulsion system. However, the change in angular momentum must be carefully calculated in order for the object to maintain its orbit.

5. How do scientists use elliptical orbits and angular momentum in space exploration?

Scientists use the principles of elliptical orbits and angular momentum in space exploration to plan and execute missions. By understanding the relationship between an object's mass, velocity, and distance, scientists can determine the trajectory and required velocity for a spacecraft to reach its destination. In addition, scientists can use the concept of angular momentum to plan maneuvers and adjust the spacecraft's trajectory during the mission.