Ellipse Rotation: Solving with Normal Rotation Matrix

In summary, the person is having difficulty rotating an equation of an ellipse into the unrotated coordinate system. They converted the equation into quadratic form and are struggling to apply the rotation matrix. They are asked to express the ellipse in algebraic form and substitute to the original equation.
Physgeek64
Hello! Okay- This is a relatively simple problem, but for some reason I'm having huge difficulty with it.

So I have the equation of an ellipse, x^2-6sqrt3 * xy + 7y^2 =16, which I have converted into quadratic form to get (13, -3sqrt3, -sqrt3, 7) and I need to rotate it using the normal rotation matrix in two dimensions (cos, -sin, cos, sin)

But I am struggling to actually apply the rotation matrix- Do apply it to the quadratic form of the matrix? And if so how can I extract the equation of the rotated ellipse from this?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume the equation of ellipse you have there to be written in the already rotated coordinate system ##(x',y')##, thus
$$
x'^2-6\sqrt{3} x'y' + 7y'^2 =16
$$
To obtain the expression of this same ellipse in the unrotated coordinate system, you have to apply the clockwise rotation matrix to the point ##(x',y')##. By the way the correct rotation matrix is
$$
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
\cos \theta & \sin\theta \\
-\sin\theta & \cos \theta \\
\end{array} \right)
$$
where ##\theta## is positive for counterclockwise rotation.

Last edited:
blue_leaf77 said:
Assume the equation of ellipse you have there to be written in the already rotated coordinate system ##(x',y')##, thus
$$
x'^2-6\sqrt{3} x'y' + 7y'^2 =16
$$
To obtain the expression of this same ellipse in the unrotated coordinate system, you have to apply the clockwise rotation matrix to the point ##(x',y')##. By the way the correct rotation matrix is
$$
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
\cos \theta & -\sin\theta \\
\sin\theta & \cos \theta \\
\end{array} \right)
$$
where ##\theta## is positive for counterclockwise rotation.
Okay, so do I simply apply the rotation matrix to the quadratic form?

Physgeek64 said:
I have converted into quadratic form to get (13, -3sqrt3, -sqrt3, 7)
First of all, how did you get that quadratic form, that doesn't seem to lead to the original ellipse equation.

blue_leaf77 said:
First of all, how did you get that quadratic form, that doesn't seem to lead to the original ellipse equation.
if you multiple by (x,y)T A (x,y) where A is the matrix stated above. Sorry I don't know how to use matrix notation on here- but the T represents transpose

Physgeek64 said:
if you multiple by (x,y)T A (x,y) where A is the matrix stated above.
Well yeah I know that, but if you really carry out the matrix operation
$$
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
x & y \\
\end{array} \right)
%
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
13 & -3\sqrt{3} \\
-\sqrt{3} &7 \\
\end{array} \right)
%
\left( \begin{array}{c}
x \\
y
\end{array} \right) =
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
x & y \\
\end{array} \right)
%
\left( \begin{array}{c}
13x-3\sqrt{3}y \\
-\sqrt{3}x + 7y \\
\end{array} \right) =
13x^2 - 4\sqrt{3}xy + 7y^2
$$
It cannot be the same as the ellipse equation you have in your first post for whatever constant value in the right hand side.

blue_leaf77 said:
Well yeah I know that, but if you really carry out the matrix operation
$$
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
x & y \\
\end{array} \right)
%
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
13 & -3\sqrt{3} \\
-\sqrt{3} &7 \\
\end{array} \right)
%
\left( \begin{array}{c}
x \\
y
\end{array} \right) =
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
x & y \\
\end{array} \right)
%
\left( \begin{array}{c}
13x-3\sqrt{3}y \\
-\sqrt{3}x + 7y \\
\end{array} \right) =
13x^2 - 4\sqrt{3}xy + 7y^2
$$
It cannot be the same as the ellipse equation you have in your first post for whatever constant value in the right hand side.
Sorry- that was a typo on my part- both of the non-leading diagonal entries should be -3sqrt3

What about the coefficient of ##x^2##?

blue_leaf77 said:

Also a typo- sorry
it is meant to be 13x^2

blue_leaf77 said:
I unfortunately don't know how to edit my original post to correct these though

Physgeek64 said:
Okay, so do I simply apply the rotation matrix to the quadratic form?
What are you asked to do? Are you asked to express the rotated ellipse in quadratic form or in algebraic form?

blue_leaf77 said:
What are you asked to do? Are you asked to express the rotated ellipse in quadratic form or in algebraic form?
algebraic, but in the unrotated co-ordinate system

Physgeek64 said:
algebraic, but in the unrotated co-ordinate system
Then you don't need to take a detour by going to the quadratic form since you already have the algebraic form of the original ellipse. So as I said earlier, imagine you have the ellipse in the already rotated coordinate system ##(x',y')##, which means
$$
13x'^2-6\sqrt{3} x'y' + 7y'^2 =16
$$
At the same time, you also have the matrix relation between ##(x',y')^T## and ##(x,y)^T##, related by coordinate rotation. From this, you should be able to obtain expressions for ##x'## and ##y'## in terms of ##x## and ##y## and substitute to the ellipse equation.

Related to Ellipse Rotation: Solving with Normal Rotation Matrix

What is rotation of an ellipse?

Rotation of an ellipse refers to the movement of an ellipse around a fixed point, known as the center of rotation. This results in a change in the orientation of the ellipse, where the major and minor axes are no longer aligned with the x and y axes.

How is rotation of an ellipse calculated?

The rotation of an ellipse is calculated using a mathematical formula that involves the coordinates of the center of rotation, the angle of rotation, and the coordinates of any point on the ellipse. This formula is known as the rotation matrix and is commonly used in geometry and linear algebra.

What is the significance of rotation of an ellipse?

Rotation of an ellipse is significant in various fields, such as astronomy, engineering, and mathematics. In astronomy, it is used to describe the orbits of planets and other celestial bodies. In engineering, it is used in designing and analyzing mechanical systems. In mathematics, it is used to solve geometric problems and study the properties of conic sections.

Can any ellipse be rotated?

Yes, any ellipse can be rotated around its center of rotation. This is because the shape and size of an ellipse remain unchanged, regardless of its orientation. However, the orientation of the ellipse can affect its position and relationship with other objects in a given space.

Is there a limit to how much an ellipse can be rotated?

No, there is no limit to how much an ellipse can be rotated. The angle of rotation can range from 0 to 360 degrees, with each angle resulting in a unique orientation of the ellipse. However, the rotation may become visually distorted when the angle becomes very large, making it difficult to discern the shape of the ellipse.