Eliminate Parameter with Sin and Cos

In summary: Actually you want to find values ##t_1## and ##t_2## for which ##( x(t_1),y(t_1))=( x(t_2),y(t_2))##. In this case there is only one pair of such ##t_1,t_2##, but in general there can be more. Also, I should warn that the graph itself is not a circle, despite the appearance of that equation above.
Mikeylikesit182
x = 2 − π cos t
y = 2t − π sin t
−π ≤ t < π
I understand how to eliminate parameter using sin^2 + cos^2 = 1.
I can't figure out how to deal with the "2t" in the y equation, if you solve for sin(t) and square, you get
((2t-y)/π )^2 which leaves the parameter. Is there a way to get it into the argument of sin?
I need this to then figure out intersection points and tangents later. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mikeylikesit182 said:
x = 2 − π cos t
y = 2t − π sin t
−π ≤ t < π
I understand how to eliminate parameter using sin^2 + cos^2 = 1.
I can't figure out how to deal with the "2t" in the y equation, if you solve for sin(t) and square, you get
((2t-y)/π )^2 which leaves the parameter. Is there a way to get it into the argument of sin?
I need this to then figure out intersection points and tangents later. Thanks in advance for any insight!

You will not be able to completely eliminate ##t##, but you can use these 2 equations to write a single equation that depends on ##x,y## and ##t## (but not ##\sin t,\cos t##). There is an interesting geometric interpretation of the equation that we can discuss after you try to find it.

fzero said:
You will not be able to completely eliminate ##t##, but you can use these 2 equations to write a single equation that depends on ##x,y## and ##t## (but not ##\sin t,\cos t##). There is an interesting geometric interpretation of the equation that we can discuss after you try to find it.

Thank you for the help! I can't figure what that equation would be ( I can see one involving arccos and substitution but I think that would be a dead end.)
I thought maybe finding the derivative dy/dx for the parametric eqn and realizing that at the point of intersection the 2 slopes would be dy/dx and -dy/dx might lead me closer?

Mikeylikesit182 said:
Thank you for the help! I can't figure what that equation would be ( I can see one involving arccos and substitution but I think that would be a dead end.)
I thought maybe finding the derivative dy/dx for the parametric eqn and realizing that at the point of intersection the 2 slopes would be dy/dx and -dy/dx might lead me closer?

Using the derivatives might be of help later, but for now do something simpler. Rewrite the equations in the form

$$\begin{split}
x -2 & = -\pi \cos t, \\
y -2t & = -\pi \sin t\end{split}$$

and then square both and add them (you were close to this in your original attempt). Can you interpret the resulting quadratic equation?

fzero said:
Using the derivatives might be of help later, but for now do something simpler. Rewrite the equations in the form

$$\begin{split}
x -2 & = -\pi \cos t, \\
y -2t & = -\pi \sin t\end{split}$$

and then square both and add them (you were close to this in your original attempt). Can you interpret the resulting quadratic equation?

(x-2)^2 = (pi^2)(cos^2(t))
(y-2t)^2 = (pi^2)(sin^2(t))
added =
(x-2)^2 + (y-2t)^2 = (pi^2)(cos^2(t)) + (pi^2)(sin^2(t))
(x-2)^2 + (y-2t)^2 = (pi^2)[(cos^2(t)) + (sin^2(t))]
(x-2)^2 + (y-2t)^2 = (pi^2)
[(x-2)^2]/(pi^2) + [(y-2t)^2]/(pi^2) = 1

It seems to look like an ellipse adjusted upwards by the parameter? I really appreciate the help!

Correct. To be precise, it's actually a circle with radius ##\pi##.

fzero said:
Correct. To be precise, it's actually a circle with radius ##\pi##.

So it seems at this point to find where the graph would intersect itself, we would ask what value for t would give us 2 sets of identical x,y coordinates?

Mikeylikesit182 said:
So it seems at this point to find where the graph would intersect itself, we would ask what value for t would give us 2 sets of identical x,y coordinates?

Actually you want to find values ##t_1## and ##t_2## for which ##( x(t_1),y(t_1))=( x(t_2),y(t_2))##. In this case there is only one pair of such ##t_1,t_2##, but in general there can be more.

Also, I should warn that the graph itself is not a circle, despite the appearance of that equation above.

upload_2015-5-2_17-20-14.png

Related to Eliminate Parameter with Sin and Cos

1. What is the purpose of eliminating parameters with sin and cos in science?

The purpose of eliminating parameters with sin and cos in science is to simplify equations and expressions by replacing them with equivalent trigonometric functions. This allows for easier calculations and analysis of data.

2. How do you eliminate a parameter with sin and cos?

To eliminate a parameter with sin and cos, you can use trigonometric identities and substitution. For example, you can use the identity sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1 to replace one of the variables in an expression with the other.

3. Why are sin and cos commonly used in parameter elimination?

Sin and cos are commonly used in parameter elimination because they are fundamental trigonometric functions that have many useful identities and properties. These functions are also closely related to circles, which are often used in scientific calculations.

4. Can we eliminate parameters with other trigonometric functions?

Yes, we can eliminate parameters with other trigonometric functions such as tan, sec, csc, and cot. However, sin and cos are usually preferred because they have simpler identities and are more commonly used in scientific applications.

5. What are some examples of eliminating parameters with sin and cos?

An example of eliminating a parameter with sin and cos is using the identity sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1 to replace the variable x in an expression. Another example is using the double angle identities sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x) or cos(2x) = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x) to simplify expressions involving sin and cos.