Eletric potential created by a homogenously charged disc

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with demonstrating the electric potential of a charge being brought from infinite to a point, and the issue of using the definition of electric potential versus integrating the electric field. The student is also unsure about canceling out infinities in their calculations.
victorcell

Homework Statement

I've to demonstrate the electric potential that a charge q feels when it's broght from infinite to a point z. The problem is that every demonstration i found out there starts with the definition of potential eletric as dV = k. dq/ r²; but i cannot use that, 'cause my professor wants us to go with delta V = - integral ( E. dl). no problem to find the eletric field though. The issue regard the integral

Homework Equations

After the integration, when dealing with the limits, infinite and z, the result comes down to + and - infinite, which is clearly an indertermination mathematicaly speaking, in spite of that, if I'm allowed to cancel that out, the result is just perfect. I am posting the picture of what I've done, I've canceled the infinites justifying by the definition of electric potential been zero at r=infinite; but i am not sure that this is allowed.. thanks for the help

Attachments

• Potencial de um disco carregado 001.jpg
    Potencial de um disco carregado 001.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 485
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, victorcell. Welcome to PF!

To handle the limit of the integral at z = ∞, you need to evaluate $$ \lim_{z \to \infty} (\sqrt{z^2+R^2} - z)$$

Last edited:

Related to Eletric potential created by a homogenously charged disc

1. What is the definition of electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential created by a homogenously charged disc?

Electric potential is created by a homogenously charged disc by the distribution of positive or negative charges on the surface of the disc. These charges create an electric field that results in a potential difference between different points on the disc.

3. What is the equation for calculating electric potential created by a homogenously charged disc?

The equation for calculating electric potential is V = kQ/R, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge on the disc, and R is the distance from the center of the disc.

4. How does the electric potential change as you move closer or farther away from the disc?

The electric potential decreases as you move farther away from the disc because the distance from the center of the disc increases, resulting in a smaller value for R in the equation. Conversely, the electric potential increases as you move closer to the disc because the distance from the center decreases, resulting in a larger value for R in the equation.

5. What is the difference between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field, while electric field is a measure of the force per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. In other words, electric potential describes the energy of a charge in an electric field, while electric field describes the force exerted on a charge in an electric field.