# elements in base does not depend on the basis

In summary, the term "elements in base" refers to the basic components or building blocks of a mathematical set or system. A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent any vector in a given vector space and is related to the elements in base. The number of elements in base affects mathematical calculations, such as matrix operations, as it determines the dimension of the system. While the number of elements in base can change in some mathematical systems, it is typically fixed. It is important to understand that the number of elements in base does not depend on the basis because it allows for calculations and operations on different bases without changing the underlying structure of the system. This concept also helps to understand the fundamental properties of mathematical systems
CubicFlunky77
Essentially, I have to show that where {[itex]e_1,...,e_n[/itex]} forms the basis of [itex]L[/itex], no family of vectors {[itex]e'_1 ,..., e'_m[/itex]} with [itex]m[/itex]>[itex]n[/itex] can serve as the basis of [itex]L[/itex]. The book shows this by saying there exists a [itex]0[/itex] vector such that [itex]0 = \sum_{i=1}^{m}x_ie'_i[/itex], where not all [itex]x_i[/itex] vanish. I wanted to show it by distinguishing the sets to which [itex]e[/itex] and [itex]e'[/itex] belong and showing that if one belongs to a set in n-dimension and the other belongs to a different set in g-dimension where g>n, the n-dimension cannot encompass the g-dimension. I'm not sure if this is doable or too longwinded. Also, I do not understand their reasoning or where the [itex]0[/itex] vector comes from. Help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If n vectors form a basis of L, then the dimension of L is n, and not g. Where does that g come from, and what is it supposed to be?
It is possible to assume that there is a different basis with m>n vectors, and show that the first n vectors cannot form a basis then (proof by contradiction).

What do you mean with "where the 0 vector comes from"? The 0 vector is part of L.

CubicFlunky77 said:
Essentially, I have to show that where {[itex]e_1,...,e_n[/itex]} forms the basis of [itex]L[/itex], no family of vectors {[itex]e'_1 ,..., e'_m[/itex]} with [itex]m[/itex]>[itex]n[/itex] can serve as the basis of [itex]L[/itex]. The book shows this by saying there exists a [itex]0[/itex] vector such that [itex]0 = \sum_{i=1}^{m}x_ie'_i[/itex], where not all [itex]x_i[/itex] vanish.

You should should state exactly what book's proof says.

I wanted to show it by distinguishing the sets to which [itex]e[/itex] and [itex]e'[/itex] belong and showing that if one belongs to a set in n-dimension and the other belongs to a different set in g-dimension where g>n, the n-dimension cannot encompass the g-dimension. I'm not sure if this is doable or too longwinded.

That's doesn't describe a specific method, so I'm not sure either.

Also, I do not understand their reasoning or where the [itex]0[/itex] vector comes from. Help?

You'll have to reveal the book's proof if you want someone to evaluated it.

Related to # elements in base does not depend on the basis

1. What does the term "elements in base" mean in this context?

The term "elements in base" refers to the basic components or building blocks that make up a mathematical set or system. These elements can be numbers, symbols, or other objects that are used to represent quantities or values.

2. What is a basis and how does it relate to elements in base?

A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent any vector in a given vector space. In the context of elements in base, the basis is the set of elements that are used to define the system or set. The number of elements in base does not depend on the basis because the basis is a fixed set of vectors, regardless of the chosen basis.

3. How does the number of elements in base impact mathematical calculations?

The number of elements in base is an important factor in mathematical calculations as it determines the dimension of the vector space or system. The dimension of a vector space is the number of elements in a basis. This impacts calculations such as matrix operations, where the dimensions of the matrices must match in order for the operation to be valid.

4. Can the number of elements in base change?

In most cases, the number of elements in base is fixed and cannot be changed. However, there are some mathematical systems where the basis can be expanded or reduced, resulting in a change in the number of elements in base. But for most practical purposes, the number of elements in base remains constant.

5. Why is it important to understand that the number of elements in base does not depend on the basis?

Understanding that the number of elements in base does not depend on the basis is important because it allows us to perform calculations and operations on different bases without having to change the underlying structure or dimension of the system. This concept also helps us to better understand the fundamental properties of vector spaces and other mathematical systems.