Elements and similar type of reaction

In summary, the conversation discusses the reactivity of elements in group 1A with iodine, specifically focusing on the similarities between potassium and cesium. The atomic mass of the elements is mentioned, but it is noted that this does not have a significant effect on their reactivity. It is suggested that lithium, sodium, rubidium, and francium may also react similarly with iodine, but the reactivity of hydrogen is uncertain since it is not considered an alkali metal.
sami23
Potassium reacts with Chlorine to produce the ionic solid potassium chloride (KCl). Which elements would you predict would react with Iodine in a similar type of reaction?

I know that K has a +1 charge and Cl has a -1 charge.

Iodine has a -1 charge and all the elements in column 1A have a +1 charge.

I deduced that Cesium has a similar type of reaction when combined with Iodine but are there any other elements that would produce a similar reaction?

Physics news on Phys.org
What led you to Cesium and not the other Group I metals?

The atomic mass of K = 39.098 and Cl = 35.453
I = 126.904 and proportionally Cs = 132.905

What kind of product will you expect from reaction between sodium and iodine? Lithium? Any group I metal? Aren't they similar?

I guess I would include elements: Li, Na, K, Rb, Cs, and Fr but I'm not sure about Hydrogen which is not an alkali metal. Is that correct?

The actual atomic mass of atoms does not really have too much of an effect on their reactivity*. Chemical reactions involve atomic/molecular orbitals, so the electrons are the really important part. Atomic mass is important only insofar as it affects the number of electrons that the atom has.

*This is not true for hydrogen and other sufficiently light atoms where certain quantum effects become important.

Related to Elements and similar type of reaction

1. What are elements?

Elements are the basic building blocks of matter. They are pure substances that cannot be broken down into simpler substances by chemical means. Examples of elements include hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon.

2. How many elements are there?

As of 2021, there are 118 known elements on the periodic table. However, scientists continue to search for and discover new elements.

3. What is the periodic table?

The periodic table is a tabular arrangement of the known elements based on their atomic structure and chemical properties. It is a useful tool for organizing and understanding the properties of elements.

4. What is a chemical reaction?

A chemical reaction is a process in which one or more substances are transformed into new substances with different chemical and physical properties. This can involve the breaking and formation of chemical bonds.

5. What are the different types of chemical reactions?

There are five main types of chemical reactions: synthesis, decomposition, single displacement, double displacement, and combustion. These reactions involve different combinations of reactants and products, and can be classified based on the changes in energy and matter that occur.