Elementary question about Dirac notation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Dirac notation in quantum computing. It explains the difference between single qubit and multi-qubit systems and how to denote the conjugate transpose or "bra" vector in Dirac notation. The main question is whether the order of the 0s and 1s should be reversed when taking the conjugate transpose. It is confirmed that this is the case and it follows the properties of matrix and tensor products.
Ocifer
Hello,

I'm in an introductory course about quantum computing. My math experience is fairly solid, but not very familiar with Dirac (bra-ket) notation. Just would like to clarify one thing:

In a single cubit space, we have [itex] |0 \rangle [/itex], and [itex] | 1 \rangle [/itex] . I understand that these form an orthonormal basis for the the space, and can be represented by the standard basis vectors in matrix form.

My question is about multi-qubit systems, and about how to properly denote the conjugate transpose, or "bra" vector, related to the kets.

Suppose, I'm now in a two cubit space, which has the basis [itex] |0 \rangle |0 \rangle, |0 \rangle |1 \rangle, |1 \rangle |0 \rangle, \mathrm{and} |1 \rangle |1 \rangle [/itex], where two kets together implies a tensor product.

So suppose I have the vector [itex] |0 \rangle |1 \rangle = |01 \rangle[/itex]. I get that this can be represented in matrix form by the column vector (0,1,0,0). From there its clear to me that if I take this vector's conjugate transpose, its "bra", it would simply get (0,1,0,0) as a row vector, and the scalar product of the two vectors would be 1.

My difficulty is moving from my intuition of matrix notation back to the Dirac notation.

When I take [itex] \mathrm{conjugate tranpose(}| 0 1 \rangle [/itex]), would I get [itex] \langle 1 0 | [/itex] ? That is to say, do I reverse the order of the 0s and 1s inside to take the bra vector?

I am leaning towards this being the case, because then we also get nice properties like

[itex] \langle 1 0 | 0 1 \rangle [/itex]
[itex] = \langle 1 | \langle 0 | 0 \rangle |1 \rangle [/itex]
[itex] = 1 \cdot \langle 1 | 1 \rangle [/itex]
[itex]= 1 \cdot 1 = 1 [/itex]

instead of

[itex] \langle 01 | 01 \rangle = 1[/itex] (which is what is implied if we're not reversing the order of the 0s and 1s)

BOTTOM LINE QUESTION: Am I right in assuming that with Dirac notation, that when I take the conjugate transpose of some ket, [itex] \psi = |01001..1 \rangle[/itex], that I must reverse the order of the 0s and 1s in the bra vector? It seems to make sense, and it meshes with results about transposition of matrix products and tensor products that I already know from previous linear algebra work. I'm asking because I can't find it stated outright in my notes, and it's the only subtlety that seems to have tripped me up.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the label inside the ##\lvert \cdots \rangle## is supposed to label the state, not act as some mnemonic for doing calculations. So

[tex]\big( \lvert 01 \rangle \big)^\dagger = \langle 01 \rvert[/tex]
and

[tex]\langle abc \rvert = \big( \lvert abc \rangle \big)^\dagger = \big( \lvert a \rangle \lvert b \rangle \lvert c \rangle \big)^\dagger = \langle c \rvert \langle b \rvert \langle a \rvert[/tex]
The reason for this is that for any normalized state whatsoever,

[tex]\langle abc \vert abc \rangle = 1[/tex]

Thank you, sir.

Related to Elementary question about Dirac notation

1. What is Dirac notation?

Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent quantum states and operators. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac and is commonly used to simplify calculations and equations in quantum mechanics.

2. How is Dirac notation used in quantum mechanics?

Dirac notation is used to represent quantum states as vectors in a complex vector space. The notation consists of a bra (⟨) and a ket (|), with the bra representing the complex conjugate of the vector and the ket representing the vector itself. Operators are represented by matrices and act on the quantum states represented by the ket. The inner product of a bra and ket gives the probability amplitude of measuring a particular state.

3. What are the benefits of using Dirac notation?

Dirac notation simplifies calculations and equations in quantum mechanics by representing complex mathematical operations as simple algebraic expressions. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of quantum states and operators, making it easier to visualize and manipulate them.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using Dirac notation?

One potential drawback of Dirac notation is that it can be difficult to read and understand for those who are not familiar with it. It also requires a solid understanding of linear algebra and complex numbers to fully utilize its benefits.

5. Can Dirac notation be used in other fields of science?

While Dirac notation is primarily used in quantum mechanics, it has also found applications in other areas of physics, such as quantum field theory and particle physics. It can also be used in engineering and computer science for applications related to quantum computing and information theory.