Elementary charge(someone , i have a test tomorrow )

In summary, the elementary charge is the smallest unit of electric charge that can exist in isolation, carried by a single proton or electron. Its symbol is "e" and its numerical value is approximately 1.602 x 10^-19 Coulombs. The value of elementary charge was first determined by Robert Millikan in his oil drop experiment. It plays a crucial role in the atomic structure, determining the charge of subatomic particles and maintaining the balance of positive and negative charges in an atom.
gforce01
elementary charge(someone please help, i have a test tomorrow!)

ok, this goes for everybody,

u know how in school, u learn that an electron has a charge of -1 and a proton has a charge of +1? is this in elementary charge(e)?

thanx.:)

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes.

thanx so much! i really appreciate it

Related to Elementary charge(someone , i have a test tomorrow )

1. What is the definition of elementary charge?

The elementary charge, also known as the fundamental unit of charge, is the electric charge carried by a single proton or electron. It is the smallest unit of electric charge that can exist in isolation.

2. What is the symbol for elementary charge?

The symbol for elementary charge is "e".

3. What is the numerical value of elementary charge?

The numerical value of elementary charge is approximately 1.602 x 10^-19 Coulombs.

4. How was the value of elementary charge determined?

The value of elementary charge was first determined by physicist Robert Millikan in his famous oil drop experiment in 1909. He observed the movement of charged oil droplets in an electric field and calculated the charge on each droplet, which was found to be a multiple of the elementary charge.

5. How is elementary charge related to the atomic structure?

The elementary charge plays a crucial role in the atomic structure as it determines the charge of subatomic particles such as protons and electrons. In an atom, the number of protons and electrons are equal, resulting in a neutral charge. This balance of positive and negative charges is what holds the atom together.