Electrostatics problem: solve for where E=0 given a configuration of charges

In summary: On the left, x is a little less than 1, so the potential is negative, but that just means the field points toward the charge, which is what it should do. On the right, x is a little more than 1, so the potential is positive, but that just means the field points toward the charge, which is what it should do.Stephen TashiIn summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a configuration of charges and the attempt to solve for the point where the electric field is equal to zero. The individual potentials for each charge are calculated and then added together using the principle of
GravitatisVis
Hey everyone, thanks for taking a look at this. I was hoping you could look over this to make sure I solved this correctly. Thanks for you time.

Homework Statement

---- "+" ---- "+" ---- "-" ----

Given this configuration of charges where the plus and minus indicate the magnitude of charge and the distance between each charge on the line is 1 unit, solve for the point where E=0.

Homework Equations

[itex]\Phi = \frac{q}{r}[/itex]

[itex]E = - \nabla \Phi [/itex]

[itex]F = [/itex][itex]q[/itex][itex]E[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going to place my coordinate system on the middle charge, then use the principle of superposition to add together each individual potential, then take the negative gradient to solve for E. I'll label the charge to the left 1, the middle 2, and the right 3.

[itex]\Phi_1 = \frac{q}{x+1}[/itex]

[itex]\Phi_2 = \frac{q}{x}[/itex]

[itex]\Phi_3 = \frac{-q}{x-1}[/itex]

[itex]\Phi=\frac{q}{x+1}+\frac{q}{x}+\frac{-q}{x-1}[/itex]

[itex]E = -\frac{d}{dx}\Phi[/itex]

[itex]E = -\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{q}{x+1}+\frac{q}{x}+\frac{-q}{x-1})[/itex]

[itex]E = \frac{q}{(x+1)^2}+\frac{q}{x^2}+\frac{-q}{(x-1)^2}[/itex]

I made a plot of E(x) using Wolfram Alpha:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+1/(x+1)^2+++1/x^2+-+1/(x-1)^2,+x=-1+to+x=1

It looks like if I placed a test charge at x~0.5, it wouldn't experience a force, since E=0 there. x=0.5 is between the the positive charge in the middle and the negative charge on the right given I set x=0 on top of the middle charge.

Apparently the correct answer for E=0 is all the way past the negative charge to the right and I'm not sure what I did wrong. This is what the teacher said.

"If +1C is to the right from everything, when electron is pulling it
to the left and the protons are both pushing +1 to the right, the
protons have more charge (+2e), but the electron is closer, so it
could balance the protonic force, giving E=0."

Thanks for the help everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
GravitatisVis said:
[itex]\Phi = \frac{q}{r}[/itex]

[itex]E = - \nabla \Phi [/itex]

[itex]F = [/itex][itex]q[/itex][itex]E[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going to place my coordinate system on the middle charge, then use the principle of superposition to add together each individual potential, then take the negative gradient to solve for E. I'll label the charge to the left 1, the middle 2, and the right 3.

[itex]\Phi_1 = \frac{q}{x+1}[/itex]

[itex]\Phi_2 = \frac{q}{x}[/itex]

[itex]\Phi_3 = \frac{-q}{x-1}[/itex]

[itex]\Phi=\frac{q}{x+1}+\frac{q}{x}+\frac{-q}{x-1}[/itex]

In the formula for the electric potential, [itex]\Phi = \frac{q}{r}[/itex] "r" means the distance from the charge. So the potential terms 1-3 should be written using absolute value.

[itex]\Phi_1 = \frac{q}{|x+1|}[/itex]

[itex]\Phi_2 = \frac{q}{|x|}[/itex]

[itex]\Phi_3 = \frac{-q}{|x-1|}[/itex]

Your equation is valid only for x>1, so Wolframalpha's other solution x≈0.5 is not valid, as |x-1|=1-x in this case.

You need to investigate all cases 0<x<1, -1<x<0, x<-1 in addition to the case x>1. You will find that there is a solution for E=0 also at x≈-0.5. It can be explained as the equal charges act with opposite forces and the negative charge is far away.

ehild

So you're saying the distance from the charge to where you're measuring the potential can be positive or negative?

e.g. if I'm standing to the right of the 3rd charge, [itex]\Phi_3 = \frac{-q}{|x-1|} = \frac{-q}{x-1}[/itex]

BUT, if I'm standing to the left, [itex]\Phi_3 = \frac{-q}{|x-1|} = \frac{-q}{(-(x-1))} = \frac{q}{x-1}[/itex]

And the same goes for all the others.

I'm still kind of confused though. Given a new situation where there's only one charge, if I stand +a on one side of it and -a on the other side, I should be standing on the same equipotential in both cases, so the potential shouldn't change, but it changes by a sign.

It seems like that fact is required though since the E field must point radially toward it or away from it.

Thank again.

Last edited:
GravitatisVis said:
So you're saying the distance from the charge to where you're measuring the potential can be positive or negative?

NO. The distance can not be negative. Can you say that the other town is -50 km away?

The potential at distance r from a point charge q is kq/r.
If there is a point charge q=1 C at x=2 m, and you stand at x=3 m, what distance you are from the charge? And what is your distance from the charge if you stand at x=1 m? And what is the potential in both cases?

ehild

so from above

[itex]\Phi_{right}=\frac{q}{|3-2|}=\frac{q}{1}[/itex]
[itex]\Phi_{left}=\frac{q}{|1-2|}=\frac{q}{1}[/itex]

The absolute value ensures that the distance is positive and I get the same potential on each side, which makes sense since I'm standing on a equipotential.

What I don't understand then is why the potentials change sign depending on what region of the charge configuration I'm standing in from my original post. I can't see it in my head.

thanks again.

GravitatisVis said:
so from above

[itex]\Phi_{right}=\frac{q}{|3-2|}=\frac{q}{1}[/itex]
[itex]\Phi_{left}=\frac{q}{|1-2|}=\frac{q}{1}[/itex]

The absolute value ensures that the distance is positive and I get the same potential on each side, which makes sense since I'm standing on a equipotential.

What I don't understand then is why the potentials change sign depending on what region of the charge configuration I'm standing in from my original post. I can't see it in my head.

thanks again.
The potentials don't change sign. Eliminating the absolute value function makes the potential appear to change sign.

If you're 1/2 unit away from the 3rd charge, and you're on the axis, then you're either at x = 0.5 , or you're at x = 1.5.

The following potentials are from Post #2 of this thread.

(On the left): [itex]\displaystyle \Phi_3(x=0.5) = \left.\frac{q}{x-1}\,\right|_{x=0.5}= \frac{q}{0.5-1}=\frac{q}{-0.5}=-2q\,.[/itex]

(On the right): [itex]\displaystyle \Phi_3(x=1.5) = \left.\frac{-q}{x-1}\,\right|_{x=1.5}= \frac{-q}{1.5-1}=\frac{-q}{0.5}=-2q\,.[/itex]

So, when you write the potential in the form you did in Post #2, the potentials appear to be different, but you get the same result once you put in the specific x values.

Related to Electrostatics problem: solve for where E=0 given a configuration of charges

1. What is electrostatics and why is it important?

Electrostatics is the study of electric charges at rest. It is important in understanding the behavior of electrically charged particles and the forces they exert on each other.

2. How do you solve for where E=0 in a configuration of charges?

To solve for where E=0, you need to use the principle of superposition and the formula for electric field, which is E = kQ/r^2. You will also need to use vector addition to find the net electric field at a specific point. Set the net electric field equal to 0 and solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is the principle of superposition?

The principle of superposition states that the electric field at any point in space is equal to the vector sum of the individual electric fields produced by each charge in the system.

4. What is the formula for electric field?

The formula for electric field is E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance between the charge and the point where the electric field is being measured.

5. Can you provide an example of solving for where E=0 in a configuration of charges?

Yes, for example, if you have two charges of +2C and -3C located at points (0,0) and (4,0) on the x-axis respectively, and you want to find the point where E=0, you would use the formula E = kQ/r^2 and set it equal to 0. Solving for r, you would find that the point where E=0 is located at (4,6.4) on the y-axis.