Electrostatics: Creating Charged Objects

In summary, an iron arrowhead has an initial charge of 2.100e-6 C. Three and a half million electrons are required to reduce this charge to -2.82 μC.
Snape1830
An iron arrowhead has an initial charge of 2.100e-6 C. How many electrons are required to give it a charge of −2.82 μC?

I know that e (the elementary charge) = +/- 1.602E-19 C
And N is the number (or excess charge)

I tried solving this problem 2 ways. The first way:

(2.100E-6 - 2.82E-6)/1.602E-19
I got 4.45E12 electrons

The second way I did:
2.100E-6-1.602E-19 * N = -2.82E-6
-1.602E-19 * N = -2.82E-6 - 2.100E-6
N =-4.92E6/-1.602E19
N= 3.05E25 electrons

However, my homework says it's wrong I tried typing them in with a negative sign, it's wrong. I tried rounding to the nearest electrons, still wrong.
What am I doing wrong? I really have no idea!

Physics news on Phys.org
Snape1830 said:
An iron arrowhead has an initial charge of 2.100e-6 C. How many electrons are required to give it a charge of −2.82 μC?

I know that e (the elementary charge) = +/- 1.602E-19 C
And N is the number (or excess charge)

I tried solving this problem 2 ways. The first way:

(2.100E-6 - 2.82E-6)/1.602E-19
I got 4.45E12 electrons

The second way I did:
2.100E-6-1.602E-19 * N = -2.82E-6
-1.602E-19 * N = -2.82E-6 - 2.100E-6
N =-4.92E6/-1.602E19
N= 3.05E25 electrons

However, my homework says it's wrong I tried typing them in with a negative sign, it's wrong. I tried rounding to the nearest electrons, still wrong.
What am I doing wrong? I really have no idea!

The arrowhead initially has a positive charge. The first 2.100×10-6 C worth of electrons are needed to neutralize the initial positive charge.

You begin with a charge of 2.1e(-6) C. You need to add electrons until you have a charge of -2.82e(-6) C. This means you need to add enough electrons such that the total charge of all the electrons added is equal to the difference in these charges; that is, the total charge of all the eletrons you add must be [2.1e(-6) - (-2.82e(-6)] C.

SammyS said:
The arrowhead initially has a positive charge. The first 2.100×10-6 C worth of electrons are needed to neutralize the initial positive charge.

So would I divide 2.100E-6 by -1.602E-19?

Tsunoyukami said:
You begin with a charge of 2.1e(-6) C. You need to add electrons until you have a charge of -2.82e(-6) C. This means you need to add enough electrons such that the total charge of all the electrons added is equal to the difference in these charges; that is, the total charge of all the eletrons you add must be [2.1e(-6) - (-2.82e(-6)] C.

So 7.27E-7. What do I do from there?

I only have a couple tries left on my homework and I want to get it right.

I believe you have found the difference in charge incorrectly; you did 2.1e(-6) - 2.82e(-6) but you need to make it 2.1e(-6) - (-2.82e(-6)) so that it becomes addition and you get:

2.1e(-6) + 2.82e(-6) = 4.92e(-6) C

So the total number of electrons required woul have charge equal to 4.92e(-6). So what would you do next?

[Another way to think about it is that you need x electrons to reduce the charge from 2.1e(-6) to 0 and then another y electrons to reduce the charge from 0 to -2.82e(-6). If you sum x and y together you should find the same number as you will from the method I explained above.]

Tsunoyukami said:
I believe you have found the difference in charge incorrectly; you did 2.1e(-6) - 2.82e(-6) but you need to make it 2.1e(-6) - (-2.82e(-6)) so that it becomes addition and you get:

2.1e(-6) + 2.82e(-6) = 4.92e(-6) C

So the total number of electrons required woul have charge equal to 4.92e(-6). So what would you do next?

[Another way to think about it is that you need x electrons to reduce the charge from 2.1e(-6) to 0 and then another y electrons to reduce the charge from 0 to -2.82e(-6). If you sum x and y together you should find the same number as you will from the method I explained above.]

Wouldn't I divide that number by e? Then I get 3.07E13 electrons.

Yes, that is correct. You can try it the second way I mentioned to convince yourself that they are equivalent.

Tsunoyukami said:
Yes, that is correct. You can try it the second way I mentioned to convince yourself that they are equivalent.

I was holding my breath as I typed it into my answer key, waiting for the check! Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!

I'm glad to have been of assistance. Hopefully you've learned something from this. :)

Related to Electrostatics: Creating Charged Objects

1. What is electrostatics and how does it relate to charged objects?

Electrostatics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest. It involves the understanding of how charged objects interact with each other and with electric fields.

2. How can objects become charged?

Objects can become charged through the process of rubbing, also known as friction. When two objects are rubbed together, electrons can be transferred from one object to the other, resulting in one object becoming positively charged and the other becoming negatively charged.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative charges?

Positive charges occur when an object loses electrons, resulting in an excess of protons. Negative charges occur when an object gains electrons, resulting in an excess of electrons. Objects with the same type of charge will repel each other, while objects with opposite charges will attract each other.

4. Can charged objects interact with neutral objects?

Yes, charged objects can interact with neutral objects. This is because the charged object creates an electric field around it, which can induce a temporary separation of charges in the neutral object. This attraction or repulsion between the charged and neutral objects is known as electrostatic induction.

5. How can charged objects be used in everyday life?

Charged objects have a wide range of applications in everyday life, such as in electrostatic spray painting, air filters, and photocopying. They are also used in industrial processes like electrostatic precipitators, which remove particulate matter from smokestacks, and in medical equipment like defibrillators.