Electrostatics: 3 Charges In An Equilateral Triangle

In summary: How much does the potential energy of the system of three charges change when one charge flies away?In summary, the conversation is about a past assignment question involving three point charges forming an equilateral triangle and one of the charges being released. The question asks for the speed of the charge at infinity, and the correct answer was found to be 56 m/s. The conversation discusses different approaches to solving the problem, including calculating the electric potential energy of two out of the three charges and taking components of this energy. However, it is concluded that potential energy is a scalar quantity and therefore cannot have components. The correct approach involves calculating the change in potential energy of the system of three charges when one charge flies away, using the equation (kQQ/r
hellojojo
Hello, so this was a past assignment question that I attempted. I got the right answer but in an incorrect way (I guess my thinking was not based on the concept?)

1. Homework Statement

Three point charges of charge Q = 10 https://maple-ta.uwaterloo.ca/mapleta/tmp/am/dh/gm/finnniaffjjcdncgjfhcnmebcf.gif and mass m = 25 g are located at the corners of an equilateral triangle, with side length 4 cm. One of the charges is let go. Gravity should be ignored.

What will its speed be when it is at infinity?

The answer was 56 m/s

3. The Attempt at a Solution

My solution was:

E1 =E2= Kq/r = ((8.99x10^9)(1x10^-5)(1x10^-5))/(0.04) = 22.475J

Then the x component was:
E1(x)= 22.475J*sin 30=11.2375
E2 (x)=22.475J*-sin 30=-11.2375

E1(y)=22.475J*cos30=19.46
E2(y)=22.475J*cos30=19.46

THen using Ke=1/2mv^2
v=56m/s

I used components instead of the electromagnetic force equation between two charges.
This is wrong or an incorrect way of thinking and I should've used the equation:

(kQQ/r-3KQQ/r)

Can someone explain to me what is going on and how this equation explains what is happening between the three forces.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is a scalar, it does not have components in different directions.
Setting kinetic energy equal to the sum of E1 and E2 works.
hellojojo said:
(kQQ/r-3KQQ/r)
I don't know where that comes from and what exactly it is supposed to mean.

Hello hellojojo. Welcome to PF!

hellojojo said:
My solution was:

E1 =E2= Kq/r = ((8.99x10^9)(1x10^-5)(1x10^-5))/(0.04) = 22.475J

You haven't told us what E1 and E2 represent. I'm guessing electric potential energy of two out of the three charges? What's the meaning of E1 as opposed to E2?
Did you mistype the formula for E1? You have only one charge in the expression Kq/r, but you calculated with two charges.

Then the x component was:
E1(x)= 22.475J*sin 30=11.2375
E2 (x)=22.475J*-sin 30=-11.2375

E1(y)=22.475J*cos30=19.46
E2(y)=22.475J*cos30=19.46

Is potential energy a vector quantity or is it a scalar quantity? Does it make sense to take components of a scalar quantity?

This is wrong or an incorrect way of thinking and I should've used the equation:

(kQQ/r-3KQQ/r)

Can someone explain to me what is going on and how this equation explains what is happening between the three forces.

Thanks

As one of the charges flies away, the potential energy of the system changes. What is an expression for the initial PE of the system of three charges? What is an expression for the final PE of the system of three charges?

What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of stationary electric charges.

What is an equilateral triangle?

An equilateral triangle is a triangle with three equal sides and three equal angles.

What is the significance of 3 charges in an equilateral triangle in electrostatics?

In an equilateral triangle, the three charges are evenly distributed, creating a symmetrical arrangement. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of the electric field and potential at any point in the triangle.

How do the charges in an equilateral triangle interact with each other?

The charges in an equilateral triangle will repel each other if they have the same sign and attract each other if they have opposite signs. The strength of the interaction is determined by the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them.

What is the importance of understanding electrostatics in real-world applications?

Electrostatics plays a crucial role in many areas of science and technology, such as electronics, energy storage, and medical imaging. Understanding the principles of electrostatics allows for the development of new technologies and the improvement of existing ones.