Electrostatic Potential inside sphere of uniform charge.

In summary, the electrostatic potential V as a function of r for r ≤ R can be found using the equation V = Q/(4πϵ0)r.
jspectral
1. Given a sphere of uniform charge Q, radius R: Find an expression for the electrostatic potential V as a function of r for r ≤ R.
Prior proof: E= Q(r)/(4πϵ0)r^2 ,for r≤R where Q(r) is the excess charge in the spherical volume of radius r

2. Relevant equation: V = Q/(4πϵ0)r

3. I tried integrating for spheres of radius ri over 0 - R where ∆Qi is each small bit of charge and ∆Qi = (Q/V)∆Vi giving (3Qr2/R3)∆r.
My eventual answer resulted in (Q/4πϵ0)(R3 - r3)

I know there's some form of integral involved, but I'm not sure what/where.
The answer (shown on the answers) is shown to be V (r) = [Q/(8πϵ0R3)](3R2 - r2) but no working is provided, and I can't for the life of me figure out what they did. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lanedance said:

I tried this method:
[tex] V(r) - V(R) = \int_{R}^r E.dr [/tex] where [tex] E = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{Q}{r^2} [/tex]

But I only end up with factors of [tex] \frac{1}{R} [/tex] and [tex] \frac{1}{r} [/tex]

Am I approaching the problem wrong? Should I be integrating over a different domain?

Considering the answer: [tex] V(r) = \frac{Q}{8\pi\epsilon_{0}R^3}(3R^2 - r^2) [/tex]
I don't get which integral could give the difference in scalar in front of r and R, nor where the bottom factor of [tex] R^3 [/tex] comes from?

I also tried:
[tex] \eta = \frac{Q}{V} = \frac{3Q}{4\pi R^3} \Rightarrow \Delta Q_{i} = \frac{3Q}{4\pi R^3}\Delta V_{i} = \frac{3Q}{4\pi R^3}4\pi r^2\Delta r [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow V(r) = \frac{3Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}R^3}\int_{R}^r r^2 dr [/tex]

Which is closer, but still evades the factor of 3 infront of R, and the factor of 8 on the bottom, and the powers of r and R are incorrect. =S

Related to Electrostatic Potential inside sphere of uniform charge.

1. What is the formula for calculating the electrostatic potential inside a sphere of uniform charge?

The formula for calculating the electrostatic potential inside a sphere of uniform charge is V = kQ/R, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and R is the distance from the center of the sphere.

2. How does the electrostatic potential vary inside a sphere of uniform charge?

The electrostatic potential inside a sphere of uniform charge varies directly with the distance from the center of the sphere. This means that the potential decreases as you move farther away from the center and increases as you move closer to the center.

3. Can the electrostatic potential inside a sphere of uniform charge ever be negative?

No, the electrostatic potential inside a sphere of uniform charge can never be negative. This is because the potential is defined as the amount of work required to move a unit positive charge from infinity to a point inside the sphere, and this work is always positive.

4. How does the charge distribution affect the electrostatic potential inside a sphere?

The charge distribution inside a sphere affects the electrostatic potential by changing the value of Q in the formula V = kQ/R. A more concentrated charge distribution will result in a higher potential at a given distance from the center, while a more spread out charge distribution will result in a lower potential.

5. What is the significance of the electrostatic potential inside a sphere of uniform charge?

The electrostatic potential inside a sphere of uniform charge is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields. The electric field is related to the potential by the formula E = -∇V, where ∇ is the gradient operator. This allows us to determine the direction and strength of the electric field at any point inside the sphere.