Electrostatic Potential from a uniform line of charge?

In summary: But you can use the integration bounds as x-a and x to arrive at the same result. ehildSorry, I made a mistake in the last line. It is E_x=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{a}{x(x-a)}.For x<a, the charge at x-a does not contribute to the field at x. ehildSorry for the confusion with the notation. I was trying to show an alternative way to solve the problem. The correct solution would use r instead of x, as you mentioned. The potential is given by U=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\ln\frac{r}{r-a} and the electric field
coffeem

Homework Statement

a) What is the value of an electrostatic potential V, a distance r from a point charge Q?

b) A uniform line of charge, of linear charge density ([tex]\lambda[/tex]), extends along the x-axis from x = 0, to x = a.

i) By considering the contributions from the infitisimal elements of the charge, show that the electrostatic potential at a point on the x-axis with x = b, where b>a, is given by:

V(b) = [tex]\stackrel{\lambda}{4pie0}[/tex]ln([tex]\frac{b}{(b-a)}[/tex]

ii) Explain how the electrical field E can be derived from the distribution of the electrostatic potential.

iii) By considering how the potential varies with b, find the electrostatic field along the x-axis, again for b>a.

iv) Demonstrate that the value for E you have determined is consistant with that expected from an equivalent point charge, in the limit b>>a.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) for this is simply have: v =Q/4pie0r.

b) I know that I am dealing with a continuous charge distribution problem here. But have no idea how I can show that... any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the line as a series of point-like charges, λdL each, where dL is the length of the charged line element. You know what is the potential of a point charge at a given distance. Integrate from L=0 to L=a all this contributions to the potential at the point x=b.

ehild

Since you have uniform linear distribution of charge, you know that linear density of charge is

[tex]\lambda=\frac{Q}{a}=\frac{dq}{dx},[/tex]

where Q is total charge.

In order to find potential, you need to know electric field. Contribution of infinitesimal element is

[tex]d\vec{E}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{dq}{x^{2}}\hat{x}[/tex]

(I assumed that charge is positive!)

On integration

[tex]\vec{E}=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int_{x-a}^{x}\frac{dx}{x^{2}}\hat{x}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{E}=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}(\frac{1}{x-a}-\frac{1}{x})\hat{x}.[/tex]

Then use the formula for potential and integrate again.

[tex]d\vec{U}=-\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{x}[/tex]

N-Gin said:
Since you have uniform linear distribution of charge, you know that linear density of charge is

[tex]\lambda=\frac{Q}{a}=\frac{dq}{dx},[/tex]

where Q is total charge.
Is this a definition of something which you have derived from the information given? I understand it, I just don't understand why it is dx rather than da?
In order to find potential, you need to know electric field. Contribution of infinitesimal element is

[tex]d\vec{E}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{dq}{x^{2}}\hat{x}[/tex]

(I assumed that charge is positive!)

On integration

[tex]\vec{E}=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int_{x-a}^{x}\frac{dx}{x^{2}}\hat{x}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{E}=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}(\frac{1}{x-a}-\frac{1}{x})\hat{x}.[/tex]

Then use the formula for potential and integrate again.

[tex]d\vec{U}=-\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{x}[/tex]

OK so when I integrate over the limits from: b to 0. I get the correct answer so thanks!

Ok I am working through the rest of this question! However for part ii I have said we need to use the del operator on in the form E = -delV

However for the third part I think I just have to do the partial derivative in reference to b. However we are sort of just working back from the derivation... is this wrong? thanks

the charge density is 0 for x>a.
[tex]
\vec{E}=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int_{x-a}^{x}\frac{dx}{x^{2}}\hat{x}
[/tex]
equals to 0.

ehild

You can also solve this problem by finding the potential first.

[tex]dU=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{dx}{x}[/tex]

[tex]U=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int_{b-a}^{b}\frac{dx}{x}[/tex]

[tex]U=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\ln\frac{b}{b-a}[/tex]

Then use the formula

[tex]\vec{E}=-\nabla U[/tex]

to find electric field. It's maybe a bit harder, but you should get the same results.

For the iv) part you have

[tex]
E=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}(\frac{1}{b-a}-\frac{1}{b})=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{a}{b(b-a)}.
[/tex]

For b>>a

[tex]
E=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{\lambda a}{b^{2}}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{Q}{b^{2}}.
[/tex]

Explain, please, what is x in your equations?

ehild

ehild said:
Explain, please, what is x in your equations?

If you are referring to equation

[tex]
U=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int_{b-a}^{b}\frac{dx}{x}
[/tex]

x is the distance between infinitesimal charge and the point on x-axis.

I believe that this equation is confusing.

[tex]
\vec{E}=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int_{x-a}^{x}\frac{dx}{x^{2}}\hat{x}
[/tex]

This is better

[tex]
\vec{E}=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int_{x-a}^{x}\frac{dr}{r^{2}}\hat{x}=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}(\frac{1}{ x-a}-\frac{1}{x})\hat{x}
[/tex]

x is a point on x-axis. I was trying to express the electric field in terms of x (any point on axis), so I can calculate the potential later by using the formula

[tex]
dU=-\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{s},
[/tex]

where s would be a vector pointing in direction where potential is smaller.

I hope it's better now.

Yes, the notation x is used for the x coordinate in the text of the problem. So the distance of a charge dq from a point at x is better be denoted with r.
Then the potential of the whole line charge at x is

[tex]

U=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int_{x-a}^{x}\frac{dr}{r}
=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\ln\frac{x}{x-a}

[/tex]
The integration is for the length of the line.

The lectric field is the negative gradient of U, and its x components is

[tex]E_x=-dU/dx=-\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{x-a}{x}\frac{-a}{(x-a)^2}=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{a}{x(x-a)}[/tex]for every x>a.ehild

Related to Electrostatic Potential from a uniform line of charge?

1. What is electrostatic potential from a uniform line of charge?

Electrostatic potential from a uniform line of charge is the measure of the electric potential at a particular point in space due to a line of charge with a constant charge density. It is a scalar field that describes the potential energy per unit charge at a given point.

2. How is the electrostatic potential calculated from a uniform line of charge?

The electrostatic potential from a uniform line of charge can be calculated using the equation V = kλ ln(r/r0), where V is the electrostatic potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the charge density of the line, r is the distance from the line of charge, and r0 is a reference distance.

3. What is the unit of electrostatic potential from a uniform line of charge?

The unit of electrostatic potential from a uniform line of charge is volts (V). This is because electrostatic potential is measured in units of energy per unit charge, which is equivalent to volts.

4. How does the electrostatic potential from a uniform line of charge vary with distance?

The electrostatic potential from a uniform line of charge is inversely proportional to the distance from the line. This means that as the distance increases, the potential decreases. The potential also varies logarithmically with distance, meaning that the potential changes at a slower rate as the distance increases.

5. What is the significance of electrostatic potential from a uniform line of charge?

The electrostatic potential from a uniform line of charge is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and the energy associated with them. It can also be used to calculate the work done in moving a charge from one point to another, as well as the direction of the electric field at a given point.