Electrostatic potential due to a dipole

In summary, the book says that we can get this equation by geometry by taking the cosine rule and subtracting cos(180-theta).
Crystal037
Homework Statement
Find the electrostatic potential due to a dipole
Relevant Equations
V=Q/4*pi*ebselon
IMG_20191209_042703_compress65.jpg

Given here is that by geometry
r1^2 =r^2 +a^2 - 2ar*cos(theta)
But if we try to do vector addition then since direction of dipole is upwards then it should be
r^2 =r1^2 +a^2 + 2ar1*cos(alpha)
Where alpha is the angle between a and r1. I Don,'t understand how they get it by geometry

Physics news on Phys.org
Crystal037 said:
if we try to do vector addition then since direction of dipole is upwards then it should be
r^2 =r1^2 +a^2 + 2ar1*cos(alpha)
What vectors are you adding to get that? What has the geometry of a triangle got to do with the direction of a field?

Then why at one equation a negative sign is present and on the other equation a positive sign is present in front of the term 2racos(theta)

Crystal037 said:
Then why at one equation a negative sign is present and on the other equation a positive sign is present in front of the term 2racos(theta)
I cannot answer that until you explain how you get the equation with the positive sign.

I didn't got it. In the book it's simply written that we got it by geometry

cos(α) = -cos(180° -α)

Crystal037 said:
I didn't got it. In the book it's simply written that we got it by geometry
You don't seem to be understanding my question.
The book gives this equation, with a negative sign, by geometry, and that is quite easily got by the cosine rule:
Crystal037 said:
r12 =r2 +a2 - 2ar*cos(theta)
Then you wrote this equation with a positive sign, and do not explain how you get it:
Crystal037 said:
But if we try to do vector addition then since direction of dipole is upwards then it should be
r2 =r12 +a2 + 2ar1*cos(alpha)
What is alpha? I don't see that in the diagram. Did you mean theta?
If you take the line of length 2a and continue that upwards, then label the angle between that and the line length r1 as alpha then both equations are correct.

I have taken alpha as the angle between a and r1. But I was not talking about my equation. In the book itself there are 2equations, if you see the image then you'll see that after they have written by geometry they have written 2 equations:
First is r1^2 =r^2 +a^2 - 2ar cos(theta)
Second is r2^2 =r^2 +a^2 +2arcos(theta)
Now I understood that they have taken cosine rule and cos(180-theta) =-cos(theta)

Related to Electrostatic potential due to a dipole

1. What is a dipole?

A dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges that are separated by a small distance. This separation creates a net electric dipole moment, which is a measure of the strength of the dipole.

2. How is the electrostatic potential due to a dipole calculated?

The electrostatic potential due to a dipole is calculated using the equation V = kqd/r^2, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb constant, q is the magnitude of the charge, d is the distance between the charges, and r is the distance from the dipole to the point at which the potential is being measured.

3. Can the electrostatic potential due to a dipole be positive and negative?

Yes, the electrostatic potential due to a dipole can have both positive and negative values. The potential is positive at points closer to the positive charge and negative at points closer to the negative charge. The potential is zero at the midpoint between the two charges.

4. How does the distance between the charges affect the electrostatic potential due to a dipole?

The electrostatic potential due to a dipole is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the potential decreases and vice versa.

5. What is the significance of the electrostatic potential due to a dipole?

The electrostatic potential due to a dipole is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields. It helps to determine the direction and strength of the electric field around the dipole, which is useful in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.