Electrostatic force with and without a conductor in between

In summary, when a conductor is placed between two charges, the electric force between them is terminated and the conductor acts as a barrier. In the case of a magnetic field, a non-magnetic material is transparent, but a high permeability material can provide magnetic screening. The conducting sheet will have an induced electric field inside it, but it will cancel out the external electric field and act as a barrier. The field presented on the other side of the sheet will be zero. The sheet can also act as a magnetic conductor in some cases.
iVenky
The figure shows a charge q1 exerting a force on a test charge qu. What happens to the electric force when a conductor is placed between q1 and qu (cases 1 and 2)? Does the force still remains the same? I am asking this because I am actually interested in finding what happens to the flux in general (whether it's electric or magnetic) when a conductor is suddenly inserted in the path of the flux (case 1-4) (assume that there is a static flux).

Attachments

• physics_question.JPG
    physics_question.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
iVenky said:
The figure shows a charge q1 exerting a force on a test charge qu. What happens to the electric force when a conductor is placed between q1 and qu (cases 1 and 2)? Does the force still remains the same? I am asking this because I am actually interested in finding what happens to the flux in general (whether it's electric or magnetic) when a conductor is suddenly inserted in the path of the flux (case 1-4) (assume that there is a static flux).
For the static charges case, the lines of force of q1 terminate on the conducting sheet and do not penetrate it.
For a magnetic case, a non magnetic material is transparent to magnetism, except at high frequencies.
A high permeability material, if sufficiently thick, can short circuit the lines of force and provide magnetic screening. For instance, MuMetal.
In the geometry/configuration you show, the material is simply being used as a magnetic conductor and not as a screen. Both sides of the sheet can see a magnetic pole.

Likes iVenky
tech99 said:
For the static charges case, the lines of force of q1 terminate on the conducting sheet and do not penetrate it.
For a magnetic case, a non magnetic material is transparent to magnetism, except at high frequencies.
A high permeability material, if sufficiently thick, can short circuit the lines of force and provide magnetic screening. For instance, MuMetal.
In the geometry/configuration you show, the material is simply being used as a magnetic conductor and not as a screen. Both sides of the sheet can see a magnetic pole.

Thanks for the reply. I would be really grateful if you can explain to me why the forces terminate on the conducting sheet instead of penetrating and how this changes in the case of magnetic field.

tech99 said:
That's true. But will they not induce charge separation on the sheet? So the "backside" of the sheet will have a charge distribution that mimics the effect of the field lines from the external charge on the other side. In that case the conducting sheet should be effectively transparent. But then that would raise the question of why a Faraday cage is effective... I think I need to think more and type less :smile:

gneill said:
That's true. But will they not induce charge separation on the sheet? So the "backside" of the sheet will have a charge distribution that mimics the effect of the field lines from the external charge on the other side. In that case the conducting sheet should be effectively transparent. But then that would raise the question of why a Faraday cage is effective... I think I need to think more and type less :smile:
So the case I am considering is similar to Faraday cage? I read about Faraday cage and if I apply the same logic, there is an electric field induced inside the conductor due to separation of +ve and -ve ions that acts in the opposite direction of the applied E field and cancels it thereby preventing it from penetrating the metal?

I wonder how it shields magnetic field though..not sure about that

Last edited:
iVenky said:
So the case I am considering is similar to Faraday cage? I read about Faraday cage and if I apply the same logic, there is an electric field induced inside the conductor due to separation of +ve and -ve ions that acts in the opposite direction of the applied E field and cancels it thereby preventing it from penetrating the metal?
Well, the electric field inside the conductor would be zero thanks to the charge separation. In static conditions there would be no current flow across the conductor interior; The separated charges counteract the external field. The question then is what field is presented on the other side of the conducting sheet? Perhaps we need to think of the sheet as an infinite source/sink for charges that will not change it's potential (a virtual ground, if you will). Then the field presented on the other side would, I believe, be zero. The (infinite) conductive sheet should act as a barrier.

Related to Electrostatic force with and without a conductor in between

1. What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between electrically charged particles.

2. How does electrostatic force work with a conductor in between two charged objects?

When a conductor, such as a metal object, is placed between two charged objects, it acts as a shield and prevents the electrostatic force from acting between them. This is because the charges on the conductor are free to move and redistribute, neutralizing the charges on the objects and canceling out the force.

3. What happens to the electrostatic force when there is no conductor in between two charged objects?

Without a conductor, the electrostatic force between two charged objects will act according to Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. Can electrostatic force act between two uncharged objects?

No, electrostatic force can only act between objects that have a net charge. If the objects are uncharged, there are no electrical forces acting between them.

5. How does the distance between two charged objects affect the strength of the electrostatic force?

The strength of the electrostatic force decreases as the distance between two charged objects increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Therefore, the farther apart the objects are, the weaker the force will be.