Electrostatic Force: Finding mA:mB Ratio

In summary: A:mB but was stuck. he then found that the centres of mass were unknown and that the equation for the net moment was solved if you take one ball as the centre of rotation.
peterpang1994
I have some problems withe this question:

Two positively charged particles A and B of masses of mA and mB respectively are suspended by two insulating threads of the same length from O. Due to the electrostatic repulsive force between A and B, threads from AO and BO make 30 degrees and 60 degrees respectively with the vertical as shown. Find the ratio mA:mB

I can find mA+mB but I can't find mA:mB

(the correct answer is 31/2 : 1)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi peterpang1994! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and a degree: ° and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

thanks a lot tim,
First I let the electrostatic force be F, TA and TB be the tension of the threads linking the ball A and B respectively and θ be the angle between the vertical and the electrostatic force . And the balls are steady.
Horizontally,
TAsin30°=Fsinθ=TBsin60°
TA=(TBsin60°)√3
TA=(TB)√3

Vertically,
TAcos30°=Fcosθ + mAg
TBcos60°=Fcosθ - mBg

(TAcos30° + TBcos60°)/g = mA + mB
mA + mB = 2TB/g

I am stuck here.

hi peterpang1994! :wink:

looks fine so far :smile:

(btw, you can find θ easily from the fact that there's an isoceles right-angled triangle)

now how about the centre of mass? :wink:

Yes θ is 75° , the balls are consider as point masses

yes, but where is the centre of mass of the pair?

that is unknown

think! :rolleyes:

the distance between the centre of mass and the ball A (R) and d be the distance between ball A and B (r) :

R = mBr/(mA+mB)

I still have no idea with this question, I just keep on asking how come this mc so difficult

take moments about the pivot :wink:

If I take the ball A as the center of rotation, the net moment = 0 ,

rTBsin45°=rmBsn75°
mB=TBsin45°/sin75°

If I take the ball B as the center of rotation, the net moment = 0 ,

rTAsin45°=rmAsn75°
mA=TAsin45°/sin75°

mA/mB = TA/TB = √3

thanks a lot! But is there any other simple way to solve this MC? Since that is just a MC in my book??

peterpang1994 said:
… thanks a lot! But is there any other simple way to solve this MC? Since that is just a MC in my book??

(what's an "MC" ? :confused:)

it is simple! :smile:

you didn't need to use the tensions, did you? :wink:

MC is multiple choices question . But this MC is inside the chapter about electrostatic force. I did try to find the tension T.T

Related to Electrostatic Force: Finding mA:mB Ratio

What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between charged particles. It is caused by the interaction of electric fields between these particles.

How is electrostatic force measured?

Electrostatic force is typically measured using a device called an electroscope, which can detect and measure the presence and strength of electric charges. Other instruments such as Coulomb's law apparatus can also be used to measure electrostatic force.

What is the mA:mB ratio in electrostatic force?

The mA:mB ratio in electrostatic force refers to the ratio of the masses of two different charged particles (mA and mB) that are experiencing a certain electrostatic force. It is used in calculations to determine the relative magnitude of the force between these particles.

How is the mA:mB ratio determined?

The mA:mB ratio can be determined experimentally by measuring the electrostatic force between two charged particles with known masses. By varying the masses of the particles and measuring the resulting forces, the ratio can be calculated and used to determine the mass of an unknown charged particle.

What is the significance of the mA:mB ratio in scientific research?

The mA:mB ratio is an important value in scientific research as it allows for the calculation and prediction of electrostatic forces between charged particles. This is crucial in fields such as particle physics, materials science, and electrochemistry, where understanding and manipulating electrostatic forces is essential in studying and developing new materials and technologies.