Electrostatic Force/Coulomb's Law

In summary, the problem was solved correctly with the correct formula, but the incorrect value of 10156 was used instead of 10516, resulting in a slightly different answer. The mistake was caught and corrected thanks to the help of others.
mattdsaun

Homework Statement

1zmgz6x.png

Homework Equations

F=qE

The Attempt at a Solution

So in solving the problem, parts a) and b) were rather easy, and I believed part c) would be easy as well. I assumed:

F=10156*(1.6E-19) which came out to 1.63E-15, but that was apparently incorrect and I'm not sure what else to try. Any help is really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
mattdsaun said:

Homework Statement

1zmgz6x.png

Homework Equations

F=qE

The Attempt at a Solution

So in solving the problem, parts a) and b) were rather easy, and I believed part c) would be easy as well. I assumed:

F=10156*(1.6E-19) which came out to 1.63E-15, but that was apparently incorrect and I'm not sure what else to try. Any help is really appreciated.

Welcome to PhysicsForums!

You are doing it correctly. So there are three possibilities:

i) there is a mistake in the online answer checker,

ii) you just punched in the wrong values by mistake when you did your multiplication (easy to check!)

iii) or there is a mistake in the online answer checker for part A and the E field there is actually incorrect.

It seems to me that the most likely is i).

nrqed said:
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

You are doing it correctly. So there are three possibilities:

i) there is a mistake in the online answer checker,

ii) you just punched in the wrong values by mistake when you did your multiplication (easy to check!)

iii) or there is a mistake in the online answer checker for part A and the E field there is actually incorrect.

It seems to me that the most likely is i).

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware that the problem had limited attempts and since posting this I have run out of attempts unfortunately. I have emailed my professor to ask him what was wrong with it and hopefully it'll get fixed. Thanks for the quick response!

10156 is not the same as the 10516 I saw in post 1. So the most likely is ii. Easy to check that 1.6*1.05 is not 1.63 but 1.68 indeed.

Pity about the score, but perhaps you have learned something much more valuable...

BvU said:
10156 is not the same as the 10516 I saw in post 1. So the most likely is ii. Easy to check that 1.6*1.05 is not 1.63 but 1.68 indeed.

Pity about the score, but perhaps you have learned something much more valuable...

Honestly did not even notice that, thanks for the help. That's what it was.

Related to Electrostatic Force/Coulomb's Law

1. What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is a type of force that exists between electrically charged particles. It is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between two charged objects.

2. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the electrostatic force, the distance between two charged objects, and the magnitude of the charges. It states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. How is Coulomb's Law used in everyday life?

Coulomb's Law is used in various technologies and devices that involve the use of electric charges, such as electric motors, generators, and capacitors. It is also used in the design of electrical circuits and power grids.

4. What is the SI unit of electrostatic force?

The SI unit of electrostatic force is Newton (N). It is named after the physicist Sir Isaac Newton and is defined as the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

5. How does the distance between two charged objects affect the electrostatic force?

The electrostatic force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two charged objects. This means that as the distance between the two objects increases, the force between them decreases. Therefore, the force is stronger when the objects are closer together and weaker when they are farther apart.