Electrostatic Force between point charges

In summary, the attractive electrostatic force between two point charges of 8.12×10−6C and Q is 0.670N at a separation of 7.26m. Using the equation F=k((|q1||q2|)/r^2), we can solve for the unknown charge Q, which has a magnitude of 9.34×10^-6C.
Xels

Homework Statement

The attractive electrostatic force between the point charges 8.12×10−6C and Q has a magnitude of 0.670N when the separation between the charges is 7.26m.

Find the sign and magnitude of the charge Q.

(this is a direct cut and paste)

Homework Equations

FQ=k((|q1||q2|)/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

8.12×10−6C = (k(|q1||q2|)/(7.26m^2))

(8.12×10−6C * 7.26m^2)/(k) = (|q1||q2|)

I'm really getting stuck here, and largely because I feel like the problem reads strangely. I feel like I'm headed in the wrong direction but if they give me Q in the beginning what am I finding? If the problem doesn't read strangely I'll keep working on it sans help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, that's a terribly worded question.

The 8.12e-6 C is the charge of one of the charges---the 'C' is for 'coulomb,' a measure of charge. The other charge has some value 'Q' which you need to find---that's the unknown.

The resulting force is 0.67 N---'N' is for 'Newton' which is a measure of force.

So F=k((|q1||q2|)/r2)

0.67 N = k((|8.12e-6 C||Q|)/(7.26m2)) solve for Q?

Make sure you square the distance, but yes -- exactly right.

Thanks so much for the help

Related to Electrostatic Force between point charges

1. What is electrostatic force between point charges?

Electrostatic force between point charges is the force that two charged particles exert on each other, due to their electric charges. It is a fundamental force in nature and is responsible for holding atoms and molecules together.

2. How is electrostatic force calculated between two point charges?

The electrostatic force between two point charges is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The formula for calculating electrostatic force is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the unit of electrostatic force?

The unit of electrostatic force is Newton (N) in the SI system. In the CGS system, the unit of electrostatic force is dyne.

4. How does the strength of electrostatic force change with distance?

The strength of electrostatic force decreases with distance between the two charges. As the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases according to the inverse square law. This means that if the distance between two charges is doubled, the force between them will decrease by a factor of four.

5. Can electrostatic force be attractive or repulsive?

Yes, electrostatic force can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges of the two particles. Like charges (positive and positive, or negative and negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (positive and negative) will attract each other.