Electrostatic Equilibrium: Where to Place a Third Charge?

In summary, two charges, q1 and q2, are located at the origin and at (0.50m, 0), respectively. To find the location of a third charge, q3, of arbitrary sign to be in electrostatic equilibrium, we can use the equation F31 = F32, where F31 is the force between q3 and q1 and F32 is the force between q3 and q2. In case (a), where q1 and q2 are like charges of equal magnitude, q3 must be placed between them at a distance of 0.25m from the origin. In case (b), where q1 and q2 are unlike charges of equal magnitude, there is no location for
endeavor
"Two charges, q1, and q2, are located at the origin and at (0.50m, 0), respectively. Where on the x-axis must a third charge, q3, of arbitrary sign be placed to be in electrostatic equilibrium if (a) q1 and q2 are like charges of equal magnitude, (b) q1 and q2 are unlike charges of equal magnitude, and (c) q1/sub] = +3.0 microCoulombs and q2 = -7.0 microCoulombs?"

for (a), I thought since they are like charges, q3 can only be in electrostatic equilibrium if it's between the two charges.
let r = distance from (0,0)
F31 = F32
(kq3q1)/r2 = (kq3q1)/(0.50-r)2
r2 = (0.50-r)2
r = 0.25 m
but the answer is -0.25m. Is that a typo?

for (b), I thought since they are opposite charges, q3 can only be in equil. if it's not between the two charges.
let r = distance from (0,0) or (0.50, 0)
F31 =- F32 (is it correct to put the negative sign here?)
(kq3q1)/r2 = -(kq3q1)/(0.50+r)2
r2 = (0.50+r)2
0 = 0.50
but this doesn't make sense, so there is no location for q3 to be in equilibrium. (This answer is correct, but I think I could've solved it by just thinking about it... but I'm not sure how)

for (c), I thought the only place for q3 (regardless of its sign) is to the left of (0,0)
F31 =- F32
(kq3q1)/r2 = -(kq3q1)/(r+0.50)2
q1(r+0.50)2 = -q2r2
(q1 + q2)r2 + q1r +0.25q1 = 0
I use the quadratic formula, and take only the negative root, since r < 0
r = -0.20m. So q3 would be at (-0.20,0).
but the answer here is -0.94m

Physics news on Phys.org
endeavor said:
"Two charges, q1, and q2, are located at the origin and at (0.50m, 0), respectively. Where on the x-axis must a third charge, q3, of arbitrary sign be placed to be in electrostatic equilibrium if (a) q1 and q2 are like charges of equal magnitude, (b) q1 and q2 are unlike charges of equal magnitude, and (c) q1/sub] = +3.0 microCoulombs and q2 = -7.0 microCoulombs?"

for (a), I thought since they are like charges, q3 can only be in electrostatic equilibrium if it's between the two charges.
F31 = F32
r2 = (0.50-r)2
r = 0.25 m
but the answer is -0.25m. Is that a typo?

Yes, that is a typo
for (b), I thought since they are opposite charges, q3 can only be in equil. if it's not between the two charges.
let r = distance from (0,0) or (0.50, 0)
F31 =- F32 (is it correct to put the negative sign here?)
(kq3q1)/r2 = -(kq3q1)/(0.50+r)2
r2 = (0.50+r)2
0 = 0.50
but this doesn't make sense, so there is no location for q3 to be in equilibrium. (This answer is correct, but I think I could've solved it by just thinking about it... but I'm not sure how)
One way to see it quickly is this: You know that it cannot be between the two charges because of the signs of the charges (the two forces must be in opposite directions for them to cancel out). Now, you must also impose that the *magnitudes* of the two forces must be the same for them to cancel out. But the charges q1 and q2 have the same magnitude..therefore the *distance* q1 to q3 and q2 to q3 must be the same...But wait! That's impossible if we are not between the charges. QED
for (c), I thought the only place for q3 (regardless of its sign) is to the left of (0,0)
F31 =- F32
q1(r+0.50)2 = -q2r2
I will tell you in a minute

endeavor said:

F31 =- F32
q1(r+0.50)2 = -q2r2

No, because the meaning of "r" in this equation is that it is a *distance*!
(this is why you use (r+0.50)). So when you solve, you *must* have a positive value for r. Once you know the distance from the origin, then you get the *x coordinate* by saying x=-r.

Thanks a lot nrged! I get it now :smile:

Two charges, q1, and q2, are located at the origin and at (0.50m, 0), respectively. Where on the x-axis must a third charge, q3, of arbitrary sign be placed to be in electrostatic equilibrium if (a) q1 and q2 are like charges of equal magnitude, (b) q1 and q2 are unlike charges of equal magnitude, and (c) q1/sub] = +3.0 microCoulombs and q2 = -7.0 microCoulombs?"

F31 = F32
r2 = (0.50-r)2
r = 0.25 m

I have almost the same exact problem in my homework. All except c is the same. I am comfused on making the relationship between F31 and F32. If they are equal, how can we have /(0.50-r)2? My question is, how do we know it is .5-r? not .5+r? Either way, I don't understand how one know to write any number -r or +r. I need some conceptual help or something.

Related to Electrostatic Equilibrium: Where to Place a Third Charge?

1. What is electrostatic equilibrium?

Electrostatic equilibrium is a state in which the net electric charge within a system is balanced and there is no movement of charge. This means that the electric field within the system is constant and there is no flow of current.

2. How is electrostatic equilibrium achieved?

Electrostatic equilibrium is achieved when the electric charges within a system are distributed in such a way that the forces between them cancel out. This can be achieved through the redistribution of charges or by using conductors to allow the charges to flow until they reach equilibrium.

3. What are some real-life examples of electrostatic equilibrium?

Some examples of electrostatic equilibrium in everyday life include the behavior of a Van de Graaff generator, the shock you feel when touching a doorknob after walking on carpet, and the behavior of hair after being combed with a plastic comb.

4. What happens if electrostatic equilibrium is disrupted?

If electrostatic equilibrium is disrupted, there will be a movement of charges within the system in an attempt to restore balance. This could result in the creation of electric fields and the flow of current, which can have consequences such as electric shocks or damage to electronic devices.

5. How is electrostatic equilibrium related to Coulomb's Law?

Electrostatic equilibrium is related to Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In electrostatic equilibrium, the forces between the charges are balanced, meaning that the electric fields are also balanced.