Electrostatic equilibrium between 3 styrofoam balls

In summary: Remember to always double check your calculations and equations to make sure they are correct. In summary, the problem involves three identical Styrofoam balls suspended in an equilateral triangle with sides of 28.3 cm. The goal is to find the common charge q carried by each ball. Using equations for tension and electrostatic forces, we can determine the angle the string makes with the vertical and the resultant vector of the electrostatic forces. Solving for q, we get a value of 3.3168 * 10^(-7), which is the correct answer.
paul11

Homework Statement

Three identical small Styrofoam balls (m = 1.95 g) are suspended from a fixed point by three nonconducting threads, each with a length of 52.1 cm and with negligible mass. At equilibrium the three balls form an equilateral triangle with sides of 28.3 cm. What is the common charge q carried by each ball?

Homework Equations

F = (k q1 q2) / r^2
F = mg
k = 9 * 10^9

The Attempt at a Solution

First I need to find the angle the string makes with the vertical, I start from one of the vertices and imagine a right triangle that connects with the midpoint of the equilateral triangle connecting the 3 balls. Given that I know from the corner of this right triangle will be 30 degrees, and that the adjacent side will be (28.3/2) cm, I calculate the hypotenuse to be 16.339 cm then I use this value to find the angle I want.

θ = sin^-1 ( 16.339 / 52.1 )
= 18.2768 degrees with vertical

Now I can find F tension in the same plane as the electrostatic forces.

Ft = mg tan 18.2768
= 6.3179 * 10 ^(-3)

This is equal in magnitude to the resultant vector of the two opposing electrostatic charges. I take the components of each electrostatic force with 30 degree angles to the resultant.

resultant = kq^2 cos 30 /r^2 + kq^2 cos 30 / r^2

6.3179 * 10^(-3) = kq^2 ( cos 30 + cos 30 ) / r^2
q = 3.3168 * 10^(-7)

CAPA says this is wrong, and I have no idea where I'm going wrong.EDIT: I solved it, it seems I was making a mistake somewhere with the vector part.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am glad you found your mistake on your own.

Related to Electrostatic equilibrium between 3 styrofoam balls

1. What is electrostatic equilibrium?

Electrostatic equilibrium is a state in which the net electric charge of an object is zero. This means that the electric forces between the charges within the object are balanced, resulting in no movement of charge.

2. How does electrostatic equilibrium occur between 3 styrofoam balls?

In the case of 3 styrofoam balls, electrostatic equilibrium can occur when the balls have equal and opposite charges. This means that the total charge of the balls is zero, and the electric forces between them are balanced.

3. Can electrostatic equilibrium occur between objects of different materials?

Yes, electrostatic equilibrium can occur between objects of different materials. It is based on the principle that opposite charges attract and like charges repel. Therefore, as long as there is a balance of charges, electrostatic equilibrium can occur between any objects.

4. How is electrostatic equilibrium related to static electricity?

Electrostatic equilibrium is closely related to static electricity, which is the buildup of electric charge on an object. When an object is in electrostatic equilibrium, it has reached a point where there is no more buildup or movement of charge, resulting in a net charge of zero.

5. What factors can disrupt electrostatic equilibrium between 3 styrofoam balls?

Factors such as friction, temperature changes, and the presence of other charged objects can disrupt electrostatic equilibrium between 3 styrofoam balls. These factors can change the distribution of charges on the balls and create imbalances, resulting in a loss of equilibrium.