Electrostatic discharge and metal rods

In summary: So what do you mean by "all the voltage applied to the water gap"?In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of replacing air with water in a high voltage experiment. The experts explain that the higher permittivity of water can cause the voltage across the water gap to decrease, potentially reducing the charge induced on the second rod. They also mention that during dielectric breakdown, the voltage is divided between the two dielectrics, but after the spark, the situation reverts back to a pair of capacitances sharing the remaining potential.
Axe199
I uploaded a photo to help explain the question, basically the blue rod is a -ve charged rod ( high voltage) gray one is metal and the brown is also metal but it's grounded , if gap A and B are filled with air , the high voltage will break down the air in both gaps and make 2 sparks in both gaps , but what if gap A was filled with water ( or a liquid with lower dielectric constant) , gap B with air, and the voltage is not high enough break down the water , can the charged rod induce a charge on the metal rod in the middle high enough to break the air in gap B making a spark in gap B only , leaving the middle metal rod +ve charged

Attachments

• 2014-07-30 13_27_26-Untitled - Paint.png
    2014-07-30 13_27_26-Untitled - Paint.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 500
Physics news on Phys.org
The water's conductivity will probably allow it to conduct well enough to cause the airgap to break down.

NascentOxygen said:
The water's conductivity will probably allow it to conduct well enough to cause the airgap to break down.

it's pure water, if you meant something else please explain

but what if gap A was filled with water ( or a liquid with lower dielectric constant)
Air has εr=1, water has εr≈60-80. Is this suitable for your experiment?

Replacing air by pure water will lower the voltage across the water gap, leaving most of the potential difference to appear across the air gap until that breaks down.

NascentOxygen said:
Air has εr=1, water has εr≈60-80. Is this suitable for your experiment?

Replacing air by pure water will lower the voltage across the water gap, leaving most of the potential difference to appear across the air gap until that breaks down.

but if the voltage difference was decreased because of the permittivity of the water , doesn't that mean the voltage or charge induced on the second rod will be reduced?

Last edited:
Axe199 said:
but if the voltage difference was decreased because of the electric strength of the water ...
You are using "electric strength" (meaning "dielectric strength", maybe?) where I expected you would be using "relative permittivity", so what property do you mean?

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
You are using "electric strength" (meaning "dielectric strength", maybe?) where I expected you would be using "relative permittivity", so what property do you mean?

sorry , i was on a hurry and got confused, i mean the relative permittivity, i will edit my old post and correct the error

Axe199 said:
but if the voltage difference was decreased because of the permittivity of the water , doesn't that mean the voltage or charge induced on the second rod will be reduced?
If the blue rod has a fixed potential, then the dielectric with higher permittivity will carry a smaller proportion of that potential until dielectric breakdown occurs, after which the intact dielectric experiences almost the full applied potential. Provided that second dielectric does not breakdown you have a capacitance charging up, and when current flow ceases the centre rod will have a nett positive charge.

You have yet to address my inquiry in post #4.

NascentOxygen said:
If the blue rod has a fixed potential, then the dielectric with higher permittivity will carry a smaller proportion of that potential until dielectric breakdown occurs, after which the intact dielectric experiences almost the full applied potential. Provided that second dielectric does not breakdown you have a capacitance charging up, and when current flow ceases the centre rod will have a nett positive charge.
This is what i understood so far , most of the voltage will be applied to the air gap , until it breaks down, leaving the metal rod +ve charged , then all the voltage will be applied to the water gap , right?
if you were asking about the permittivities , yes , air = 1 , water = 60-80

Perhaps not all will be applied to the water. During breakdown of the air there will be a minimum voltage needed to maintain that conduction, this reduces the voltage to the other dielectric during this time.

is that minimum voltage only required when the breakdown occurs in microseconds?

Axe199 said:
is that minimum voltage only required when the breakdown occurs in microseconds?
No. It's the voltage across the spark.

NascentOxygen said:
No. It's the voltage across the spark.

so what happens after the spark?

E= mc2

is this a spam of some kind?

Axe199 said:
so what happens after the spark?
When electron flow ceases, the situation reverts to a pair of capacitances. They share the remaining potential, but differently now that one had briefly shorted out (but being a gas, that dielectric healed itself).

Last edited:
what do you mean by "remaining voltage"?

Axe199 said:
what do you mean by "remaining voltage"?
I took the blue rod as carrying a finite number of charges and separated from Earth by capacitance and dielectrics. When the dielectrics change, such as when one shorts out, the rod's potential relative to Earth changes.

Related to Electrostatic discharge and metal rods

1. What is electrostatic discharge (ESD)?

Electrostatic discharge is the sudden flow of electricity between two objects with different electric potentials. This can occur when there is a build-up of static electricity on one object and it comes into contact with another object, causing a sudden release of energy.

2. How does ESD affect metal rods?

Metal rods can be negatively affected by ESD as they can act as conductors, allowing the sudden flow of electricity to pass through them. This can potentially damage the metal rod or any connected electronic devices.

3. How can ESD be prevented when working with metal rods?

To prevent ESD when working with metal rods, it is important to properly ground yourself and any equipment being used. This can be done by using a grounding strap or mat, and ensuring that all metal rods and equipment are properly connected to a grounded outlet.

4. Can ESD cause harm to humans?

Yes, ESD can cause harm to humans. While the discharge itself may not be strong enough to cause serious harm, it can still cause discomfort or startle individuals. Additionally, ESD can damage electronic devices that are being handled by humans, potentially leading to costly repairs or replacements.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when working with metal rods?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when working with metal rods. These include wearing protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, properly grounding yourself and equipment, and avoiding contact with any live electrical sources. It is also important to properly store and handle metal rods to prevent any potential hazards.