Electrostatic collision between two masses

I accidentally replied to the wrong postIn summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving conservation of momentum and energy, and finding the minimum angle between two vectors using speed and velocity. The question also mentions using a variable ##\varphi## instead of the empty set.
unscientific

Homework Statement

5wo7s.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done part (a) and (b) using conservation of momentum and energy..for part (c) I'm not sure how to find the minimum angle ∅. I have also worked out the velocities of m1 and m2 just before the collision as required in part (a).

I've done a sketch that shows something like:

33xa174.png

I know that in the zero-momentum-frame the total momentum must be zero, so their momentum are aligned. (different masses results in them having different velocities, in order to ensure Ʃp = 0)

Physics news on Phys.org
unscientific said:
I've done part (a) and (b) using conservation of momentum and energy..for part (c) I'm not sure how to find the minimum angle ∅. I have also worked out the velocities of m1 and m2 just before the collision as required in part (a).
Just for the math folk, let's use ##\varphi## rather than the empty set for our variable. :-p

You have the velocities of the two masses. Velocity is a vector. The question you need to ask yourself is "how do you find the angle between two vectors?"

You probably meant speed, in which case...how do you relate speed and velocity?

Mandelbroth said:
Just for the math folk, let's use ##\varphi## rather than the empty set for our variable. :-p

You have the velocities of the two masses. Velocity is a vector. The question you need to ask yourself is "how do you find the angle between two vectors?"

You probably meant speed, in which case...how do you relate speed and velocity?

I know the answers to all your questions, but I'm not sure if they're helpful in this question...:confused:

bumpp

Using conservation of energy, we can write:

1/2m1v1^2 + 1/2m2v2^2 = 1/2m1v1'^2 + 1/2m2v2'^2

Where v1 and v2 are the initial velocities of m1 and m2 respectively, and v1' and v2' are the velocities just after the collision.

To find the minimum angle ∅, we can use the law of cosines:

v1'^2 = v1^2 + v2^2 - 2v1v2cos∅

Then we can substitute this into the conservation of energy equation to solve for cos∅:

1/2m1v1^2 + 1/2m2v2^2 = 1/2m1(v1^2 + v2^2 - 2v1v2cos∅) + 1/2m2v2'^2

Solving for cos∅, we get:

cos∅ = (m1v1^2 + m2v2^2 - m2v2'^2)/(2m1v1v2)

Using this equation, we can calculate the minimum angle ∅ for the given masses and velocities.

Related to Electrostatic collision between two masses

1. What is electrostatic collision between two masses?

Electrostatic collision between two masses is the interaction between two objects due to their electric charges. It occurs when two charged objects come into close proximity and their electric fields interact with each other, resulting in a force between the objects.

2. How does electrostatic collision differ from other types of collisions?

Unlike other types of collisions, electrostatic collisions involve the interaction of electric fields between charged objects rather than physical contact. This means that the force between the objects is based on their electric charges and the distance between them, rather than their masses or velocities.

3. What factors affect the strength of electrostatic collision between two masses?

The strength of electrostatic collision between two masses is affected by the magnitude of their electric charges, the distance between them, and the dielectric constant of the medium between them. The force between the objects increases with larger charges, decreases with greater distance, and is influenced by the material between them.

4. Can electrostatic collision between two masses be repulsive?

Yes, electrostatic collision can be either attractive or repulsive depending on the charges of the objects involved. Objects with like charges will experience a repulsive force, while objects with opposite charges will experience an attractive force.

5. How is electrostatic collision between two masses used in real-world applications?

Electrostatic collision between two masses has many practical applications, such as in particle accelerators, inkjet printers, and electrostatic precipitators. It is also used in electrostatic dischargers to prevent damage to electronic devices and in electrostatic painting techniques.