Electrons in a beam of televison tube

In summary: Let's start with converting keV to J.1 keV = 1.6x10^-19 J, so 24.0 keV = 24.0x1.6x10^-19 J = 3.84x10^-18 JNext, let's convert µT to T. 1 µT = 10^-6 T, so 65.0 µT = 65.0x10^-6 T = 6.5x10^-5 TNow, plugging everything into your equation, we get:a = qvB/m = (1.6x10^-19)(3.84x10^-18)(6.5x10^-5)/9
Gonger
Ive got a question where I have to find the acceleration of a single electron due to the magnetic field. Now here is what I did. I tired to find Velocity using KE = .5mv^2. Solving for v. Then knowing that F=qvB and F=ma I made the equation qvb/m=a. But I can't get this to work. Is there some thing that I'm doing wrong. This is a related question with the numbers in it:
Each of the electrons in the beam of a television tube has a kinetic energy of 24.0 keV. The tube is oriented so that the electrons move horizontally from geomagnetic south to geomagnetic north. The vertical component of Earth's magnetic field points down and has a magnitude of 65.0 µT. In what direction will the beam deflect?

I think my problem is with converting uT to T for the electric field. And converting my 24 keV to J. Anyone have some help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gonger said:
Ive got a question where I have to find the acceleration of a single electron due to the magnetic field. Now here is what I did. I tired to find Velocity using KE = .5mv^2. Solving for v. Then knowing that F=qvB and F=ma I made the equation qvb/m=a. But I can't get this to work. Is there some thing that I'm doing wrong.
Your approach is correct except that the force is:

[tex]\vec F = q\vec v \times \vec B = qvBsin\theta[/tex]

What is the angle of [itex]\vec v [/itex] to the magnetic field?[itex]\vec B[/itex] Why not show us what you have done? It is a little hard to figure out where you may have gone wrong otherwise.

AM

Well, the vertical component of B was given in the problem, so I don't think you need to do the cross product. You're probably just having problems with unit converstions.

Related to Electrons in a beam of televison tube

What are electrons in a beam of television tube?

Electrons in a beam of television tube are tiny, negatively charged particles that are emitted from a cathode and accelerated through an electric field to create an image on a television screen.

How do electrons in a beam of television tube create an image?

The electrons are focused into a narrow beam and then scanned across the screen in a series of horizontal lines. The varying intensity of the electron beam creates different shades and colors, which are interpreted as an image by the viewer.

What is the purpose of the anode in a television tube?

The anode serves as a target for the electron beam and is coated with a phosphor material. When the electrons strike the phosphor, they cause it to emit light, which creates the visual image on the screen.

How are the electrons in a television tube controlled?

The flow of electrons is controlled by the voltage applied to the cathode and anode, as well as the strength of the electric field. This allows for precise manipulation of the electron beam to create the desired image on the screen.

What happens to the electrons after they create the image on the screen?

After the electrons have struck the phosphor material on the screen, they are collected by a positively charged anode and redirected back to the cathode to begin the process again. This creates a continuous flow of electrons to sustain the image on the screen.