Electronics, Wheatstone bridge, with a twist.

In summary, the sensitivity of the bridge around 100°C is 0.71V. It compares favorably with the –100°C sensitivity of 0.71V.
brokenbarbie

Homework Statement

The bridge circuit below is used to monitor temperature using a thermometer. The thermometer RT has resistance of 100 Ω at 0°C and a linear coefficient with temperature of 0.005 Ω/°C. What is the sensitivity of the bridge (ΔVOUT/ΔT) around 100 °C for ΔT = 1°C? How does it compare with sensitivity around – 100 °C?
6kPxT8M.jpg

Homework Equations

(ΔVOUT/ΔT) = Sensitivity

RT=(1+aΔT)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to calculate output voltage,

First I calculated RT=100* (1 + 0.005 * 100) = 150Ω which is the resistor of the transducer

Then I calculated v1 and v2

v1 = 10*(200/200+200) = 5V
v2 = 10*(150/200+150) = 4.29V

hence Δv=0.71V

and sensitivity = 0.71/1 = 0.71I'm not sure what I've done makes any sense, I followed an example for a wheatsone bridge, any help will be appreciated greatly, thanks =D.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi brokenbarbie, Welcome to Physics Forums.

You have the right idea about determining Vout by first finding your v1 and v2. But things go off the rails from there :smile:

The first step should be to find an expression for Vout rather than a particular value at a particular temperature. Just leave RT as a symbol and find the expression for Vout. You can plug in an expression for RT later.

Then you want to head towards finding ##\frac{d}{dT}V_{out}##, either by way of calculus, or I suppose you could "brute force" it by plugging in temperatures +/- the ΔT and determining the corresponding ΔVout.

Hello gneill, would you kindly show me how to do the remainder of the question. If it's not too much trouble could you post the full solution?

Thanks in advance

Hi Evaaeroqueen, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Evaaeroqueen said:
Hello gneill, would you kindly show me how to do the remainder of the question. If it's not too much trouble could you post the full solution?

Thanks in advance

No, that would be against forum rules; We can't jut do your homework for you. We can provide hints, corrections, and so forth, but you must show some effort and do the bulk of the work.

Cheers.

Your approach is correct, but there are a few things that can be improved in your solution.

Firstly, when calculating the resistor value for the thermometer, you should use the given linear coefficient of 0.005 Ω/°C. This means that at 100°C, the resistance of the thermometer will be 100*(1+0.005*100) = 150Ω.

Secondly, when calculating v1 and v2, you should use the resistance value of the thermometer at the given temperature (100°C). This means that v1 = 10*(150/150+200) = 5V and v2 = 10*(150/150+150) = 5V. This results in Δv = 5V-5V = 0V.

Finally, the sensitivity should be calculated as the change in output voltage (Δv) divided by the change in temperature (ΔT). In this case, the change in temperature is given as 1°C, so the sensitivity would be 0V/1°C = 0V/°C.

To compare the sensitivity at -100°C, you can follow the same steps as above, but use the resistance value of the thermometer at -100°C (100*(1+0.005*(-100)) = 50Ω). This will result in a sensitivity of 0V/1°C = 0V/°C, which is the same as at 100°C.

Overall, your approach was correct, but there were a few minor errors in your calculations. Keep in mind that the sensitivity of a Wheatstone bridge is dependent on the ratio of resistances, so it will remain the same regardless of the actual resistance values (as long as they are proportional).

Related to Electronics, Wheatstone bridge, with a twist.

1. What is a Wheatstone bridge and how does it work?

A Wheatstone bridge is a circuit used to measure unknown resistance by comparing it with a known resistance. It works by balancing two legs of a bridge circuit, with the unknown resistance in one leg and known resistances in the other three legs. When the bridge is balanced, the ratio of the known resistances can be used to calculate the value of the unknown resistance.

2. What is the purpose of adding a "twist" to the Wheatstone bridge?

The "twist" in a Wheatstone bridge refers to the addition of a fourth resistor in the circuit, creating an unbalanced bridge. This allows for a wider range of resistance values to be measured, as well as providing more accurate readings for smaller resistance values.

3. How does the twist affect the calculations in a Wheatstone bridge?

The twist changes the calculation for the unknown resistance. Instead of using the ratio of the known resistances, the formula now includes the value of the fourth resistor. This allows for a more precise calculation and a wider range of resistance values to be measured.

4. What are some common applications of Wheatstone bridges with a twist?

Wheatstone bridges with a twist are commonly used in strain gauges, which measure changes in resistance due to mechanical strain. They are also used in temperature sensors, where the change in resistance of a temperature-sensitive material is measured. Additionally, they are used in electrical measurements for precision and accuracy.

5. How can I build a Wheatstone bridge with a twist?

To build a Wheatstone bridge with a twist, you will need four resistors, a power source, and a voltmeter. Connect the resistors in a diamond configuration, with the unknown resistor in one leg and the known resistors in the other three legs. Connect the power source and voltmeter to the opposite corners of the diamond, and adjust the values of the known resistors until the voltmeter reads 0 volts. The resistance of the unknown resistor can then be calculated using the formula Runknown = Rknown x (Rtwist / Ropposite), where Rtwist is the value of the fourth resistor and Ropposite is the value of the opposite known resistor.