Electronics engineering or material science engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision between choosing a diploma programme in EE or MSE. The person is interested in physics and wants a job that is both charismatic and interesting. The speaker shares their experience in EE not being boring, but acknowledges that it is a personal decision and suggests consulting with professionals for more information.
miray dicle
Hello everyone,
I'm a sophomore student and I'm a bit confused about deciding my diploma programme. I'm really interested in physics and I don't want to work on a study field which is just full of mechanical things. EE sounds cool because of it's being hard and there are only a few people who are able to handle it, but it might also be boring and people say that it's more suitable for men. MSE sounds more theoretical to me. But generally people don't know much about it, they're not even aware of such an engineering field exists. I know I should not mind what other people say too much(like biases and stereotypes). I want to have a charismatic and an interesting job at the same time. What would you suggest me to choose?

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot speak materials science or mechanical engineering but I can tell you that my career in EE was certainly not boring. Of course, I had the great good fortune to be in the right place at the right time and spend the first 16 years of that career at NASA, but jobs after that, although less interesting than NASA, were certainly not boring.

It's really a very personal decision though. You need to learn more about each profession and see how they strike you. The fact that *I* never found EE boring is not really relevant to YOU. Anecdotal information garnered from web forums is not likely to be all that helpful. Consult professionals in person if you can [but don't try for an "interview" here on PF since they are not allowed]

Related to Electronics engineering or material science engineering?

1. What is the difference between electronics engineering and material science engineering?

Electronics engineering focuses on the design and development of electronic devices and systems, while material science engineering is concerned with the properties and behavior of materials used in these devices.

2. What skills are required for a career in electronics engineering or material science engineering?

Both fields require strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. In addition, proficiency in math, physics, and computer programming is essential for success in either field.

3. What industries can I work in with a degree in electronics engineering or material science engineering?

Graduates in these fields can find employment in a variety of industries, including telecommunications, aerospace, consumer electronics, manufacturing, and research and development.

4. Is a degree in electronics engineering or material science engineering in high demand?

Yes, both fields are in high demand due to the increasing role of technology in our daily lives. The demand is expected to continue to grow as new technologies and materials are developed.

5. What are some potential career paths for a degree in electronics engineering or material science engineering?

Some potential career paths include becoming a design engineer, materials scientist, research and development engineer, or electronics technician. Graduates can also pursue further education and become professors or work in specialized industries such as nanotechnology or renewable energy.