Electronics - Determine voltage across current source

In summary, to determine the voltage across the 2A current source, one must use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL), as well as Ohm's Law. Additionally, one must understand that an ideal current source can produce any amount of voltage required to maintain its specified current, and an ideal voltage source can produce any amount of current required to maintain its specified potential difference. Using KCL and KVL, one can determine the total potential across the branch with the current source, and subtracting the voltage drop across the 10 ohm resistor, the voltage produced by the current source can be found. It is important to note that the polarity of the drop across the 10
turpy

Homework Statement

Determine the voltage across the 2A current source
2m6lq37.png

Homework Equations

kirchhoff voltage law (kvl)
kirchhoff current law (kcl)
ohm's law

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm new to the concept of a current source. I'm not sure how there can be voltage drop across the current source, so maybe the question is asking for the voltage drop across the 10 ohm resistor that's in series with it?
Are all resistors that are parallel with the power source going to have a voltage drop equal to the source voltage? So the voltage across the 5 ohm resistor and the current source is 50V? I doubt the answer could be that simple though
I think I'm really missing something to understand how to do this question.

If I need to do KCL, it would have to be at the first junction the 2A flows into right?
and for KVL, it would be the loop with the 50V power source? Having both equations is leading me nowhere

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
An ideal current source will produce ANY amount of voltage required to maintain its specified current. So never open circuit an ideal current source :eek:

An ideal voltage source will produce ANY amount of current required to maintain its specified potential difference. So never short circuit an ideal voltage source :eek:

You'll need to find the total potential across the branch with the current source in it. Whatever the drop is across the 10Ω resistor, the remainder must be due to the current source.

gneill said:
An ideal current source will produce ANY amount of voltage required to maintain its specified current. So never open circuit an ideal current source :eek:

An ideal voltage source will produce ANY amount of current required to maintain its specified potential difference. So never short circuit an ideal voltage source :eek:

You'll need to find the total potential across the branch with the current source in it. Whatever the drop is across the 10Ω resistor, the remainder must be due to the current source.

Oh thank you! I didn't realize a current source was producing voltage to maintain a specific current.
(subscripts for resistors using their resistances)
Using KCL for the junction the 2A flows into:
2 + i_1 - i_5 = 0
KCL at junction below the 5 ohm resistor
i_5 - i_1 - i_10 = 0
i_10 = i_5 - i_1 = 2A
so V_10 = i_10 * R = (2)(20) = 20V

So for 50 V across the current source and 10 ohm resistor, if the voltage drop across the resistor is 20V, the voltage produced by the current source is 30V ?

turpy said:
Oh thank you! I didn't realize a current source was producing voltage to maintain a specific current.
(subscripts for resistors using their resistances)
Using KCL for the junction the 2A flows into:
2 + i_1 - i_5 = 0
KCL at junction below the 5 ohm resistor
i_5 - i_1 - i_10 = 0
i_10 = i_5 - i_1 = 2A
so V_10 = i_10 * R = (2)(20) = 20V

So for 50 V across the current source and 10 ohm resistor, if the voltage drop across the resistor is 20V, the voltage produced by the current source is 30V ?

Oooh, so close! Check the polarity of the drop across the 10Ω resistor.

gneill said:
Oooh, so close! Check the polarity of the drop across the 10Ω resistor.

So it's 70V? woah I couldn't imagine the voltage across anything in this circuit to be greater than the source voltage. But I guess it's possible since the current source produces voltage to keep the 2A constantly flowing?!

turpy said:
So it's 70V? woah I couldn't imagine the voltage across anything in this circuit to be greater than the source voltage. But I guess it's possible since the current source produces voltage to keep the 2A constantly flowing?!

No, there's something amiss still. Your total potential across the branch doesn't look right.

If you take the junction at the bottom of the circuit as the reference node, and if you let the voltage at the top junction (node) be Va, then you can rewrite your first KCL node equation as:

##\frac{Va - 50V}{4Ω + 1Ω} + \frac{Va}{5Ω} - 2A = 0##

Solve for Va, which also happens to be the voltage across the 5Ω resistor, as well as the branch with the current source.

gneill said:
No, there's something amiss still. Your total potential across the branch doesn't look right.

If you take the junction at the bottom of the circuit as the reference node, and if you let the voltage at the top junction (node) be Va, then you can rewrite your first KCL node equation as:

##\frac{Va - 50V}{4Ω + 1Ω} + \frac{Va}{5Ω} - 2A = 0##

Solve for Va, which also happens to be the voltage across the 5Ω resistor, as well as the branch with the current source.

Can you explain how you got the first term? Why are the 4 ohm and 1 ohm resistors summed in the denominator (are you treating them as resistors in series?)
I just learned about node voltage analysis in class a few hours ago; is this a method similar to that?

turpy said:
Can you explain how you got the first term? Why are the 4 ohm and 1 ohm resistors summed in the denominator (are you treating them as resistors in series?)
Yes, they are in series in the branch of the circuit that this term describes. If the lower node is the reference point (assumed 0V), and the node in question is at potential Va, then the current that must flow out of the node at potential Va towards the reference node is given by this term in the equation --- the net potential difference divided by the total resistance in the branch.
I just learned about node voltage analysis in class a few hours ago; is this a method similar to that?

It is exactly that, yes.

gneill said:
Yes, they are in series in the branch of the circuit that this term describes. If the lower node is the reference point (assumed 0V), and the node in question is at potential Va, then the current that must flow out of the node at potential Va towards the reference node is given by this term in the equation --- the net potential difference divided by the total resistance in the branch.

It is exactly that, yes.

I get it now! I just wonder why the professor assigned this question before node voltage analysis was covered.

Thank you so much for your help!

Related to Electronics - Determine voltage across current source

What is a current source and how does it work?

A current source is an electronic component that produces a constant flow of electric current, regardless of the resistance in the circuit. It works by maintaining a constant voltage across its terminals, adjusting its output as needed to maintain the desired current.

How do you determine the voltage across a current source?

To determine the voltage across a current source, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) equals the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). In the case of a current source, the resistance is essentially infinite, so the voltage across it will be equal to the current.

What factors affect the voltage across a current source?

The voltage across a current source is primarily affected by the current flowing through it and the resistance of the circuit. If the current increases, the voltage across the current source will also increase. Similarly, if the resistance decreases, the voltage across the current source will increase.

How does the voltage across a current source affect the rest of the circuit?

The voltage across a current source determines the amount of current that will flow through the rest of the circuit. If the voltage across the current source increases, the current flowing through the circuit will also increase. This can potentially affect the functionality of other components in the circuit.

Can the voltage across a current source be controlled?

In most cases, the voltage across a current source cannot be directly controlled. However, it can be indirectly controlled by adjusting the current or the resistance in the circuit. Some advanced electronic circuits may have specialized components that allow for more precise control of the voltage across a current source.