Electronics (Circuit Analysis) Questions

In summary: Is there a problem with the way I solved the problem?In summary, the voltages in the circuit are equal, but the currents are not.
stefan10

Homework Statement

Problem A
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/855/6v0c.png

Problem B
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/853/1m2c.png
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/34/wfe4.png

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Rules/Ohm's Law

Voltage Divider Formula

[tex] V_{ab} = (V_{0}*R_{2})/(R_{1} + R_{2}) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem A:

I'm unsure how much information is sufficient for what the question is asking. I derived these equations, and relations for different currents:

[tex]I_{1} = I_{AB}=I_{EF}[/tex]
[tex]I_{3} = I_{BC}=I_{CD} = I_{DE} [/tex]
[tex]I_{2}=I_{BE}[/tex]

Loop 1 (Clockwise)
[tex] 0 = V_{0} - I_{1}R - I_{2}R - I_{1}R = V_{0} - 2I_{1}R - I_{2}R [/tex]

Loop 2 (Clockwise)
[tex] 0=V_{0} - 1/2 V_{0} - I_{3}R \ \mbox{(used Voltage Divider Eq for the voltage of GH)} [/tex]
[tex] \Rightarrow 0 = V_{0} - 2I_{3}R [/tex]

Node Equation

[tex] 0 = I_{1} - I_{3} - I_{2} [/tex]

Solving these equations I get

[tex] 3 I_{1} = I_{3} [/tex]
[tex] I_{2} = -2 I_{1} [/tex]
[tex] I_{3} = - (3/2) I_{2} [/tex]

So for the questions asked:

a.) V_{GH} = V_{0}/2
b.) I_{GH} = V_{0}/2R
c.) I'm not sure how to find this.

Problem B:

V Thevenin is equal to V_{GH} right? That means V_{th} = V_{GH} = V_{0}/2

R Thevenin is R parallel to R, which can be found with 1/R_{th} = 1/R + 1/R which give us R_{th} = 2/R.

I'm not as confident of Problem B as I am of Problem A.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is easiest to solve by using series & parallel combinations of resistors.

For a), collapse the circuit from right to left, combining resistors as you go. You will end up with only one resistor -- this tells you the overall current from the voltage supply. Then re-build the original circuit from left to right, calculating currents and voltages as you go.

1. In problem 13, did you get something like V_be = V_o/3 ?
If so, don't you think V_gh = Vo/2 is a little strange ?
I do not understand your 1/2 V_o in loop 2.

Related to Electronics (Circuit Analysis) Questions

1. What is a circuit and how does it work?

A circuit is a closed loop through which an electrical current can flow. It is made up of various components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors that are connected by conductive wires. The current flows through the circuit due to the flow of electrons, which are pushed by a voltage source. The components in the circuit can modify the current and voltage, allowing for the creation of different functions, such as amplification or filtering.

2. What is Ohm's law and how is it used in circuit analysis?

Ohm's law states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied across it, and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor. This means that as the voltage increases, the current also increases, while an increase in resistance will decrease the current. This law is used in circuit analysis to calculate the current, voltage, or resistance of a circuit component when the other two values are known.

3. How are series and parallel circuits different?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after the other, forming a single loop for the current to flow through. This means that the current is the same at all points in the circuit, but the voltage is divided among the components. In parallel circuits, the components are connected in separate branches, allowing the current to split and flow through each component. In this case, the voltage is the same across all components, but the current is divided among them.

4. What is the purpose of a capacitor in a circuit?

A capacitor is a component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material. When connected to a circuit, a capacitor can temporarily store and release electrical energy, which can be useful in applications such as filtering and timing circuits. Capacitors can also be used to block or pass certain frequencies of current.

5. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

AC (alternating current) circuits have a constantly changing current and voltage, while DC (direct current) circuits have a constant current and voltage. AC circuits are commonly used in household electricity and have a frequency of 60 Hz, while DC circuits are used in batteries and electronics. AC and DC circuits also use different types of components, such as transformers and diodes, to manipulate the current and voltage in different ways.