Electronically Change Material Refractive Index

In summary, voltage controlled RI is necessary for changing the focal length, refraction angle, and modulating the polarisation of light.
Grheee
Hi,

How do I electronically change material refractive index? Is Kerr effect the right way? Is there any good material that have Kerr effect, that can be used in modern gadgets? Is there any gadget/device that use this kind of material?

Regards,
Grheee

Engineering news on Phys.org
I had a brief encounter with a GE Talaria projector , one of the more amazing gizmos i ever encountered.
It modulates the shape of an oil film to make an adjustable lens for projecting TV signal on to a huge screen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talaria_projector
The later LV series had an optional "Multiple Personality" (MP) module that would allow the projector to display various resolutions and scan rates produced by computers of the time. It could produce an 8,000 lumen image onto a 15 foot by 20 foot screen from 64 feet away.[5]

Likes dlgoff
jim hardy said:
I had a brief encounter with a GE Talaria projector , one of the more amazing gizmos i ever encountered.
It modulates the shape of an oil film to make an adjustable lens for projecting TV signal on to a huge screen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talaria_projector

GE had a knack for making amazing things that remained rather obscure. I had the privilege of working several years underneath the sign in the video below. It was controlled by a magnetic amplifier. GE made exciters using magnetic amplifiers but many engineers have never heard of them.

The lights on the sign were ordinary incandescent light bulbs. The secret of the sign that we GE engineers knew about was that there were two signs at opposite ends of the park, and that the magnetic amplifier controlled them so that the pair drew constant total power even though the lights went off/on. That was a good trick in the 1920s or 30s when it went up without relays or moving parts. I suspect that the sign is replaced with LEDs today.

The GE sign's rival for fame was the RCA Victor "His Master's Voice" dog 20 miles down the road in Albany.
5241321256_279be29486_b.jpg
rca.png

Likes dlgoff
As fascinating as magnetic amplifiers are, we need to get back to the topic of voltage controlled RI ...
Grheee: What are you really trying to do here that needs a variable RI ?
Do you want to change a focal length, refraction angle, or maybe modulate the polarisation of light ?

Related to Electronically Change Material Refractive Index

1. What is the purpose of electronically changing the refractive index of a material?

The purpose of electronically changing the refractive index of a material is to manipulate the way light passes through it. This can be useful in various applications such as creating more efficient displays, controlling the direction of light in optical circuits, and improving the performance of optical sensors.

2. How is the refractive index of a material changed electronically?

The refractive index of a material can be changed electronically by applying an external electric or magnetic field to the material. This changes the polarization and orientation of the material's molecules, which in turn alters the speed of light passing through it and therefore its refractive index.

3. What types of materials can have their refractive index electronically changed?

Most materials can have their refractive index electronically changed, but certain materials, such as liquid crystals and semiconductors, are more commonly used for this purpose. These materials have properties that make them responsive to external electric or magnetic fields and able to change their refractive index accordingly.

4. What are the potential applications of electronically changing the refractive index of a material?

The potential applications of electronically changing the refractive index of a material are vast. Some examples include creating adjustable lenses for cameras and eyeglasses, developing tunable optical filters, and improving the efficiency of solar cells and optical communication systems.

5. Are there any drawbacks to electronically changing the refractive index of a material?

One drawback of electronically changing the refractive index of a material is that it requires a constant external energy source to maintain the desired refractive index. This can lead to increased power consumption and potential reliability issues in certain applications. Additionally, not all materials are suitable for electronic manipulation of their refractive index, limiting the range of materials that can be used for this purpose.