Electronic Switch / Microphone

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a circuit to energize an electronic switch when someone speaks into a microphone. The solution involves amplifying the signal from the microphone, detecting when it is above a certain threshold, and using that detection to trigger the drive to the relay. The amplification does not need to be high fidelity.
hogrampage

Homework Statement

You're given an electronic switch which requires 5V at 1mA in order to close; it is open with no voltage present at its input. If the only microphone available produces a peak voltage of 250mV, design a circuit which will energize the switch when someone speaks into the microphone.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to start. Would I use an instrumentation amplifier or something else? If so, how would it be wired? Where would the signal from the microphone go?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hogrampage said:

Homework Statement

You're given an electronic switch which requires 5V at 1mA in order to close; it is open with no voltage present at its input. If the only microphone available produces a peak voltage of 250mV, design a circuit which will energize the switch when someone speaks into the microphone.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to start. Would I use an instrumentation amplifier or something else? If so, how would it be wired? Where would the signal from the microphone go?

Thanks

You do need to amplify the signal, then detect when it is above some threshold, and have that detection trigger the drive to the relay and hold that drive steady for some time period (like for the duration of the speaking plus a couple of seconds maybe). The amplification does not need to be high fidelity -- you are just looking for when the signal from the microphone is above some detection threshold...

Related to Electronic Switch / Microphone

1. What is an electronic switch and how does it work?

An electronic switch is a device that is used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit. It works by using an electrical signal to turn on or off the flow of current through a specific path. This can be done through various mechanisms such as transistors, relays, or diodes.

2. What are the different types of electronic switches?

There are several types of electronic switches, including transistors, relays, diodes, and solid-state switches. Transistors are commonly used in electronic devices and can be either bipolar or field-effect. Relays use an electromagnet to control the flow of electricity, while diodes allow current to flow in only one direction. Solid-state switches use semiconductor materials to control the flow of electricity.

3. How is a microphone related to electronic switches?

A microphone is a type of electronic switch that converts sound waves into electrical signals. It contains a diaphragm that vibrates when exposed to sound waves, which in turn causes an attached electrical circuit to open and close, creating an electrical signal that corresponds to the sound. This signal can then be amplified and transmitted to speakers or recording devices.

4. What are some common applications of electronic switches?

Electronic switches have many applications in various industries, including telecommunications, electronics, and automotive. They are used in devices such as cell phones, computers, and cars to control the flow of electricity and enable the functioning of different components. They are also used in power grids to regulate the flow of electricity and prevent overload.

5. How do I choose the right electronic switch for my project?

The type of electronic switch you choose will depend on the specific requirements of your project. Consider factors such as voltage and current ratings, switching speed, and environmental conditions when selecting a switch. It is also important to ensure that the switch is compatible with the other components in your circuit.