Electronic Specific Heat constant

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the electronic specific heat constant γ in 2 dimensions. The general formula for specific heat is provided, along with the density of states in 2D. The equation for specific heat by each electron is derived, but the question is raised about its units. The expert suggests multiplying the equation by Avogadro's number for units in moles, or by the number of electrons per unit area for units in m^-2.
Sturnn17

Homework Statement

Hi all. This isn't homework per say, more lack of understanding of something when reading around the notes.My problem is in trying to derive the electronic specific heat constant [itex]γ[/itex] in 2 dimensions.

Homework Equations

I know the general formula for specific heat is [itex] c^{el} = {\frac{π^2 g(ε_F) k^2 T}{3}} [/itex]

I also derived the density of states in 2D (g(ε)) to be [itex] {\frac{m^*}{ ħ^2 π}} [/itex]

And that [itex] c^{el} = γ~T [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I could trivially combine my equations together to give [itex] c^{el} ={\frac{π m^* k^2 T}{3ħ^2}} [/itex]

However I am confused to what this actually represents, is this the contribution to the specific heat by each electron?

I am looking for [itex]γ[/itex] in units of [itex] J~mol^{-1}~K^{-2} [/itex] or something similar so I would think I need to introduce avogadros number into my equation somehow but I have failed so far.

I tried to include it by working out n (the number of electrons per unit area)

[itex] n = ~^{ε_F}_{0}\int g(ε) dε =~ ^{ε_F}_{0}\int{\frac{m^*}{ ħ^2 π}} dε = {\frac{m^*}{ ħ^2 π}}~ε_F [/itex]

[itex] πk^{2}_{F}= {\frac{N}{ 2}}({\frac{2π}{ L}})^2 [/itex] => [itex] k_F= (2nπ)^{1/2} [/itex]

[itex] ε_F= {\frac{ħ^2 (2nπ)}{ 2m^*}} = {\frac{ħ^2 nπ}{m^*}}[/itex]

[itex] n = {\frac{m^*}{ ħ^2 π}}~{\frac{ħ^2 nπ}{m^*}}= n... [/itex] This evidently wasn't very helpful.

Thanks for taking time to read my post and for any input you may have.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It looks like you're on the right track with your attempt at a solution. The equation you have derived, c^{el} = {\frac{π m^* k^2 T}{3ħ^2}}, represents the contribution to the specific heat by each electron in 2D. To convert this to units of J~mol^{-1}~K^{-2}, you can use the fact that the Avogadro's number, N_A, is equal to 6.022 x 10^23 mol^{-1}. So, to get the specific heat in terms of moles, you can simply multiply your equation by N_A. This would give you c^{el} = {\frac{N_A π m^* k^2 T}{3ħ^2}}.

However, if you want to express the specific heat per unit area (in units of J~m^{-2}~K^{-2}), you can use your expression for the number of electrons per unit area, n, and multiply your equation by n. This would give you c^{el} = {\frac{π m^* k^2 T}{3ħ^2}}~n.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Electronic Specific Heat constant

What is the Electronic Specific Heat constant?

The Electronic Specific Heat constant, also known as the electronic heat capacity or electron heat capacity, is a physical constant that represents the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one mole of a substance by one kelvin per mole of electrons.

What is the symbol for the Electronic Specific Heat constant?

The symbol for the Electronic Specific Heat constant is Ce.

How is the Electronic Specific Heat constant calculated?

The Electronic Specific Heat constant can be calculated by dividing the total heat capacity of a substance by the number of moles of electrons present in the substance. It can also be calculated by multiplying the electronic heat capacity of a single electron by Avogadro's number, 6.022 x 10^23.

Why is the Electronic Specific Heat constant important?

The Electronic Specific Heat constant is important because it helps scientists understand the energy of electrons in a substance and how they contribute to the overall heat capacity of the substance. It is also used in thermodynamics and materials science to calculate and predict temperature changes in electronic devices.

What factors can affect the value of the Electronic Specific Heat constant?

The value of the Electronic Specific Heat constant can be affected by the temperature, pressure, and composition of a substance. It can also vary depending on the type of material, such as metals, semiconductors, or insulators.