Electron wave function and Probability

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of c and the probability of the electron being located in a specific range using a given graph. The attempt at solving for c involves finding the area under the graph and setting it equal to 1, resulting in a value of 0.577. The attempt at solving for the probability involves using the height of the graph to calculate the area of the desired range, resulting in a value of 0.666. However, further discussion reveals that the calculation for c may be incorrect and more practice is needed in understanding wave functions.
bayan

Homework Statement

I've been asked to find the value of c and the probability that the electron is located in the range of x=-1 and x=1.

Homework Equations

See Graph below

The Attempt at a Solution

ψ graph http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/61/wavefunction.jpg

|ψ|[itex]^{2}[/itex] graph http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6663/psisquare.png
As mentioned by ehild the graph is not drawn with correct scale (my carelessness, which caused all my problems)

For part a) I need to find value of C. Which I have found to be 0.577 but the answer seems wrong, I have done this by drawing a |ψ|[itex]^{2}[/itex] graph (which is almost the same except there are no negative y values. I have found c by making the area underneath |ψ|[itex]^{2}[/itex] equal to 1. Since the two smaller square in -1to -2 and 1 to 2 are exactly half I tried to find c by making the graph a rectangle with L=3nm given area must equal 1, width must equal [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]. Hence I got a value for c which is [itex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}[/itex] = 0.577
For part b I am asked to fin probability of electron being in x=-1 and x=1 nm. My answer was 0.666 (0.7 as I have been asked to answer in one significant figure) but this seems wrong too.

Anyone able to tell me where I have made mistake?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bayan said:
For part a) I need to find value of C. Which I have found to be 0.577 but the answer seems wrong, I have done this by drawing a |ψ|[itex]^{2}[/itex] graph (which is almost the same except there are no negative y values.

... and the height of the middle part is 4 times the height of the small rectangles. So you have got two rectangles of width 1 and height c2/4 and a big rectangle of width 2 and height c2.
What is the area?

ehild

ehild said:
... and the height of the middle part is 4 times the height of the small rectangles. So you have got two rectangles of width 1 and height c2/4 and a big rectangle of width 2 and height c2.
What is the area? ehild
Thanks.

Edit: Obviously I need to work a bit more on wave functions and finding the heights, anyone know where I could get some examples? I tried google, but it comes up with complex stuff.

Last edited:

Related to Electron wave function and Probability

1. What is an electron wave function?

An electron wave function is a mathematical description of the quantum state of an electron. It describes the probability of finding an electron at a particular location in space.

2. How is the probability of an electron's position determined by its wave function?

The probability of finding an electron at a particular location is given by the square of the absolute value of the electron's wave function at that location.

3. Can the wave function of an electron change over time?

Yes, the wave function of an electron can change over time, according to the Schrödinger equation. This describes how the wave function evolves over time in response to the electron's environment.

4. What is the physical significance of the electron wave function?

The electron wave function is fundamental to the understanding of quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior and properties of electrons in atoms and molecules. It also plays a crucial role in determining the electronic structure and chemical properties of materials.

5. Is there a limit to how accurately we can know an electron's position and momentum?

Yes, according to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, there is a fundamental limit to how accurately we can know the position and momentum of an electron. This is due to the wave-particle duality of electrons, where their position and momentum cannot be measured simultaneously with absolute certainty.