Electron shell, Oxidation number

In summary, the conversation discusses the oxidation numbers of various elements, specifically focusing on hydrogen, helium, lithium, beryllium, oxygen, fluorine, and nickel. The speaker shares their confusion about the electron configuration and oxidation number of nickel and asks for clarification. The conversation also touches on the usefulness of oxidation numbers and the reason why nickel does not complete its 3d shell with 10 electrons.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
I think I have asked too many question for one day.
I'm trying to understand antioxidant and free radicals. But, first I'd like to understand oxidation number.
The oxidation number for hydrogen is +1 or -1. I can understand that. Either Hydrogen must lost one electron or gains one electron to complete its shell.
Helium is, of course, zero
Lithium, 1s2 2s1, is +1. I can understand that from its electron configuration.
Beryllium, 1s2 2s2, +2, also obvious.
Oxygen, -2, but sometimes -1 or +2
Fluor, -1.
Now, about Nickel:
http://www.thecatalyst.org/oxnotabl.html states that Nickel oxidation number is +2

1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d8 4ss is +2

My question is:
1. Why that website doesn't also state that Nickel oxidation number is +1 also, because
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel
states that one of Nickel electron configurations is as follows.
1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d9 4s1

2. Why nickel electron configuration is
1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d8 4ss
Why not
1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10

Why Nickel doesn't complete its 3d shell with 10 electron?
Or the 'why' word here is the wrong question. Because the answer is: it is so!

Thanks for any help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Stephanus said:
The oxidation number for hydrogen is +1 or -1.

Or 0. Every element when not in compounds has by definition oxidation number of zero.

Don't pay too much attention to oxidation numbers - they don't exist in reality. There is no measurable physical quantity that can be attributed to them. They are useful as an accounting device when it comes to balancing redox equations, but even then we can use other methods.

Stephanus said:
Why Nickel doesn't complete its 3d shell with 10 electron?

Because the 4s has a slightly lower energy and is filled first. Look for Aufbau principle.

Likes Stephanus

1. What is an electron shell?

An electron shell is the area surrounding an atom's nucleus where its electrons are located. It is also known as an energy level and can hold a specific number of electrons based on its energy.

2. How are electron shells labeled?

Electron shells are labeled using numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) or letters (K, L, M, etc.) The number or letter represents the level, with level 1 being the closest to the nucleus and higher levels being further away.

3. What is an oxidation number?

An oxidation number is a positive or negative number assigned to an atom in a molecule or ion to represent the number of electrons lost or gained by that atom. It is used to determine the overall charge of the molecule or ion.

4. How is the oxidation number of an atom determined?

The oxidation number of an atom is determined by following a set of rules. In general, the oxidation number of an atom is equal to the number of valence electrons it gains or loses. For example, an atom in group 1 of the periodic table will have an oxidation number of +1, while an atom in group 7 will have an oxidation number of -1.

5. What is the relationship between electron shells and oxidation number?

The number of electrons in an atom's outermost electron shell determines its oxidation number. For example, an atom with a full outer shell (8 electrons) will have an oxidation number of 0, while an atom with 7 electrons in its outer shell will have an oxidation number of +1. The closer an atom is to having a full outer shell, the more stable it is and the less likely it is to gain or lose electrons.