Electron scattering: nuclear radius to nucleon number relationship

In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of R_{0} in the relationship R=R_{0}A^{1/3}. The question involves a graph of root mean square radius <r^{2}> plotted against A^{1/3}. The speaker is unsure of how to find R_{0} because they do not know the relationship between <r^{2}> and R. They have tried using the charge radius but without success. They eventually find the answer and confirm that they are effectively finding the expectation value of r^{2}.
AlexCdeP
Hi! I am extremely confused on what seems to be quite a simple question. The question contains a graph of root mean square radius <r[itex]^{2}[/itex]> plotted against A[itex]^{1/3}[/itex] where A is the nucleon number. In the lecture notes he specifies that <r[itex]^{2}[/itex]> is not the same as R but does not really say specifically what the difference is. It is given that the gradient of the line in this graph is 0.96. I am meant to find the value of R[itex]_{0}[/itex] in the relationship R=R[itex]_{0}[/itex]A[itex]^{1/3}[/itex] but I'm not certain how to find it because I don't know what the relationship between the rms r and R is.

Any help would be amazing.

I have worked through trying to use the charge radius but without success, he never mentioned the charge radius in the lecture so I'm not sure what to do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_radius

Attachments

• PC3232_assignment_2_1314s1.pdf
    113.7 KB · Views: 691
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a uniform sphere of radius R, what is the (squared) rms radius <r2> of its volume? Hint: You'll need an integral (or a formula).

Likes 1 person
Thanks so much I think I'm on the right track now. So for a uniform sphere you use some spherical coordinate integrals to find that the rms radius is related to the radius by [itex]\frac{3}{5}[/itex]R[itex]^{2}[/itex]. Is this the correct formula to get?

Also am I right in saying that I am effectively finding the expectation value of r[itex]^{2}[/itex]?

Finally got the answer! Thanks again man couldn't have done it without you!

AlexCdeP said:
Thanks so much I think I'm on the right track now. So for a uniform sphere you use some spherical coordinate integrals to find that the rms radius is related to the radius by [itex]\frac{3}{5}[/itex]R[itex]^{2}[/itex]. Is this the correct formula to get?

Also am I right in saying that I am effectively finding the expectation value of r[itex]^{2}[/itex]?
Yup.

Related to Electron scattering: nuclear radius to nucleon number relationship

1. What is electron scattering and how is it related to nuclear radius?

Electron scattering is a process in which high-energy electrons are scattered off the nucleus of an atom. This process can provide information about the size and structure of the nucleus. The relationship between electron scattering and nuclear radius is that as the energy of the electrons increases, the scattered electrons are able to probe deeper into the nucleus, providing more precise measurements of its size.

2. How is the nuclear radius to nucleon number relationship determined through electron scattering?

The nuclear radius to nucleon number relationship is determined through analyzing the scattering pattern of the electrons. By measuring the angles and intensities of the scattered electrons, scientists can calculate the distribution of charge within the nucleus, which is related to the nuclear radius. The nucleon number, or number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, can also be determined through electron scattering by measuring the energy of the scattered electrons.

3. Can electron scattering be used to study all types of nuclei?

Yes, electron scattering can be used to study all types of nuclei, from light nuclei with only a few protons and neutrons to heavy nuclei with many protons and neutrons. However, the precision of the measurements may vary depending on the complexity of the nucleus being studied.

4. How does the nuclear radius to nucleon number relationship change for different types of nuclei?

The nuclear radius to nucleon number relationship is not universal for all types of nuclei. As the number of nucleons increases, the nuclear radius tends to increase, but the rate of increase may vary depending on the nuclear structure. For example, nuclei with a larger number of protons may have a different relationship compared to nuclei with a larger number of neutrons.

5. What are the implications of understanding the nuclear radius to nucleon number relationship through electron scattering?

Understanding the nuclear radius to nucleon number relationship can provide valuable insights into the structure and properties of atomic nuclei. This information is important for a wide range of applications, including nuclear energy, nuclear medicine, and astrophysics. Additionally, studying the relationship between nuclear radius and nucleon number can help scientists better understand the fundamental forces that govern the behavior of matter at the nuclear level.