Electron repulsion per unit volume

In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulty of calculating the number of electrons needed to create a pressure of 1psi in a cubic centimeter due to repulsion and the challenge of considering electrons on the edge of the cube. The suggestion was made to calculate the energy of a sphere with a given radius and charge to determine the force exerted. A reference was also requested for further assistance.
taylaron
Gold Member
Hi, I am trying to calculate how many electrons I need to confine in one cubic centimeter to make the pressure on the "walls" 1psi. I've tried the equation for the repulsion of two charges, but we're talking about trillions of electrons here and they're all pushing on each other however slightly. Yes, the force exerted on the electrons toward the center of the cube will have neutral net repulsion but its the ones on the edge that stump my calculations.
Could anyone help me out here or suggest a reference?

Thanks in advance-

-Tay

Physics news on Phys.org
You can calculate the energy of a sphere (that's probably the easiest shape to start with) of radius R and total charge Q, and then look at dE/dr.

Sorry, the wrong topic

Related to Electron repulsion per unit volume

1. What is electron repulsion per unit volume?

Electron repulsion per unit volume, also known as electron density, is a measure of the number of electrons in a given volume of space. It describes the distribution of electrons around an atom or molecule.

2. How is electron repulsion per unit volume calculated?

Electron repulsion per unit volume is calculated by dividing the total number of electrons in a system by the volume of space that they occupy. It is often expressed in units of electrons per cubic meter.

3. What is the significance of electron repulsion per unit volume?

Electron repulsion per unit volume is an important concept in chemistry and physics as it helps us understand the behavior and properties of atoms and molecules. It also plays a role in determining the reactivity and stability of chemical compounds.

4. How does electron repulsion per unit volume affect bonding?

Electron repulsion per unit volume plays a significant role in chemical bonding. In molecules, electrons are constantly repelling each other, which helps to determine the shape and geometry of the molecule. In general, the higher the electron density, the stronger the repulsion and the more stable the molecule.

5. Can electron repulsion per unit volume be manipulated?

Electron repulsion per unit volume can be altered by changing the number of electrons in a system or by changing the volume of space they occupy. This can be achieved through chemical reactions, changes in temperature and pressure, or using external forces such as electric and magnetic fields.