Electron potential/momentum problem

• Thread starter orangeincup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, x-ray radiation is produced by accelerating electrons in a vacuum and colliding them with a target, resulting in the conversion of all kinetic energy into the energy of an x-ray photon with a wavelength of 1.24 angstroms. To find the potential difference needed for this acceleration, the formula h/λ = p should be used, substituting the wavelength of the electron rather than the photon. The equation for the energy of a photon can also be used to solve this problem.
orangeincup

Homework Statement

To produce x-ray radiation, electrons are accelerated in vacuum and aimed so as to collide with a target. Assume that all of the electron kinetic energy is converted into the energy of the x-ray photon on collision and that the wavelength of the resulting radiation is 1.24 angstroms.

Homework Equations

h^2/(2*(e)(m)(λ)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

(6.63*10^-34)^2/(2(1.6*10^-19)(9.11*10^-31)(1.24*10^-9)^2)

=.979 V
/1000 for kV = .000979 kV. I entered this answer and it told me it was incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
That equation is unknown to me. Try starting out with the basic equation for the energy of the x-ray photon.

orangeincup said:

Homework Statement

To produce x-ray radiation, electrons are accelerated in vacuum and aimed so as to collide with a target. Assume that all of the electron kinetic energy is converted into the energy of the x-ray photon on collision and that the wavelength of the resulting radiation is 1.24 angstroms.

Homework Equations

h^2/(2*(e)(m)(λ)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

(6.63*10^-34)^2/(2(1.6*10^-19)(9.11*10^-31)(1.24*10^-9)^2)

=.979 V
/1000 for kV = .000979 kV. I entered this answer and it told me it was incorrect.

What is the question?
You did not write any equation. What does the formula in 2 mean?

The question is "What potential difference must the electron be accelerated? (answer in kV) "
Enter the electron momentum in kg*m/s

My equation I found using KE=1/2mv^2, λ = h / p, and I guess I messed something up

so I have the λ=1.26, the mass of an electron, the fact it is a vaccum, the charge of an electron, planks constant. What kind of formula should I be using?

h/ λ =p
(6.63*10^-34)/(1.24*10^-10) = 5.34*10^-24 (momentum?)

orangeincup said:
The question is "What potential difference must the electron be accelerated? (answer in kV) "
Enter the electron momentum in kg*m/s

My equation I found using KE=1/2mv^2, λ = h / p, and I guess I messed something up

so I have the λ=1.26, the mass of an electron, the fact it is a vaccum, the charge of an electron, planks constant. What kind of formula should I be using?
You need a formula that contains the accelerating voltage.
orangeincup said:
h/ λ =p
(6.63*10^-34)/(1.24*10^-10) = 5.34*10^-24 (momentum?)
The problem asks the momentum of the electron. h/ λ =p is right if you use the wavelength of the electron, but you substituted the wavelength of the photon, so you got the momentum of the photon.

The kinetic energy of the electrons are used to produce the x-ray photons. So I suggest starting out with the energy of the x-ray photons. Do you know what the equation is for the energy of a photon (according to Planck and as used by Einstein to explain the photoelectric effect)?

Related to Electron potential/momentum problem

1. What is the electron potential/momentum problem?

The electron potential/momentum problem is a fundamental issue in quantum mechanics where the position and momentum of an electron cannot be simultaneously measured with certainty. This is known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and it arises due to the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level.

2. How does the uncertainty principle affect our understanding of electrons?

The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of an electron, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. This means that we can never have a complete understanding of an electron's behavior, only probabilities of where it might be or how it might interact with other particles.

3. Can the electron potential/momentum problem be solved?

No, the electron potential/momentum problem cannot be solved. It is a fundamental limitation of our understanding of quantum mechanics and is a result of the inherent uncertainty in the behavior of particles at the quantum level. However, scientists have developed mathematical models and theories to accurately predict the behavior of particles despite this limitation.

4. How does the electron potential/momentum problem impact technology and everyday life?

The electron potential/momentum problem has a significant impact on technology and everyday life. It is the basis for technologies such as transistors and lasers, which are essential in modern electronics. It also plays a role in the development of new materials and technologies such as quantum computing.

5. Are there any ongoing research efforts to better understand the electron potential/momentum problem?

Yes, there are ongoing research efforts to better understand the electron potential/momentum problem. Scientists are continually conducting experiments and developing new theories to gain a deeper understanding of the behavior of particles at the quantum level. This research has the potential to lead to new technologies and advancements in our understanding of the universe.