Electron moving to lower energy state

In summary: This is also how we know what elements are in stars.In summary, when an electron moves to a lower energy state, it emits a photon. If the photon has the right amount of energy, the electron can be excited back to a higher energy state. It is relatively easy to put a photon into an electron, but the chances of it happening at exactly the right time and with the right energy are very small. This is because atoms are constantly emitting and absorbing photons, and most atoms are locked into molecules which have other ways of absorbing and releasing energy. The absorption of two lower energy photons at the same time is possible, but highly unlikely. This process occurs continuously in the outer layers of the Sun's atmosphere and is responsible for creating the
Simon Peach
When an electron moves to lower energy state it emits a photon, now if a photon is absorbed by an electron does the electron move back to the higher energy state. (I don't think that 'energy state' is the right term) If so how hard is it to put the photon into the electron? I assume that it not an everyday occurrence as then all electron would be endless moving up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Simon Peach said:
When an electron moves to lower energy state it emits a photon, now if a photon is absorbed by an electron does the electron move back to the higher energy state.

If the photon has the right amount of energy, equal to the difference in energy between the two levels, then yes, the electron can be excited into the higher energy level.

Simon Peach said:
If so how hard is it to put the photon into the electron? I assume that it not an everyday occurrence as then all electron would be endless moving up.

It is very easy to do. This isn't a problem because the vast majority of the time the electron quickly falls back down from its excited state, releasing that energy either as light or as heat. Also, every excitation would require light of a different wavelength and the chances of the atom absorbing light with exactly the right energy in exactly the right order at exactly the right time is very small.

Also note that there are essentially no single atoms roaming about around you. Almost all atoms are locked into molecules of gas, liquids, or solids. Molecules have several more ways to absorb and release energy other than electronic transitions, and their electronic transitions are often complex, multi-state processes.

Likes bhobba, ajeet mishra and Comeback City
Atoms are constantly emitting and absorbing photons. The electrons don't constantly go up in energy because they are typically emitting photons as fast as they are absorbed.

Drakkith said:
Also note that there are essentially no single atoms roaming about around you.
You probably have some argon atoms around you.

Likes Jamison Lahman
Khashishi said:
You probably have some argon atoms around you.

Ah yes, I forgot about the argon in the atmosphere.

Can low energy photons make an exitation exception if they are ver very close and all their energies point to favourable direction?

Can you rephrase that, m k? I can't understand you.

m k said:
Can low energy photons make an exitation exception if they are ver very close and all their energies point to favourable direction?

As far as I know, absorption of two photons of lower energy at exactly the same time is possible, but extremely unlikely. Also, energy is not a vector, it does not have a direction. Perhaps you mean the electromagnetic field vectors, but those are not really related to the energy levels of an atom.

Drakkith said:
As far as I know, absorption of two photons of lower energy at exactly the same time is possible, but extremely unlikely.
In other words, you need intense lasers to get significant rates of multi-photon absorption.

Likes Jamison Lahman
Simon Peach said:
I assume that it not an everyday occurrence as then all electron would be endless moving up.
It occurs continuously in the outer layers of the Sun's atmosphere. This is what creates the dark Fraunhofer lines in the solar spectrum.

Likes bhobba

Related to Electron moving to lower energy state

1. What causes an electron to move to a lower energy state?

The movement of an electron to a lower energy state is caused by the release of energy, either in the form of light or heat. This occurs when an electron transitions from a higher energy level to a lower energy level, resulting in a more stable state.

2. How does an electron transition to a lower energy state?

An electron can transition to a lower energy state through a process called electron relaxation. This occurs when an excited electron, typically in an atom or molecule, releases energy and returns to its original, lower energy state.

3. What is the significance of an electron moving to a lower energy state?

The movement of an electron to a lower energy state is significant because it helps to maintain the stability of atoms and molecules. It also plays a crucial role in many processes, such as photosynthesis, where energy is released as electrons move to lower energy levels.

4. Can an electron move to a lower energy state without releasing energy?

No, an electron cannot move to a lower energy state without releasing energy. This is because the energy difference between the two states must be conserved. If an electron moves to a lower energy state without releasing energy, it would violate the laws of thermodynamics.

5. How is the movement of electrons to lower energy states related to chemical reactions?

The movement of electrons to lower energy states is essential in chemical reactions as it allows for the formation of new bonds and the release of energy. This energy is often used to drive other chemical reactions, making electron movements crucial in the world of chemistry and biology.