Electron moving in a Copper Wire

In summary, the question is asking how far an average electron moves in a 299 W toaster during an alternating current cycle. To solve this, we can use the equations Prms=IrmsVrms, Ipeak=I0=Irms(sqrt 2), I0=npAVdmax, and Vdmax=Aw=A(2pif). After finding the necessary equations, we can use the hint to google "Copper Conduction Electrons" to find the value of n needed to solve for I0.
member 217843

Homework Statement

How far does an average electron move along the wires of a 299 W toaster during an alternating current cycle? The power cord has copper wires of diameter 1.7 mm and is plugged into a standard 60 Hz 120 V ac outlet.

Homework Equations

Prms=IrmsVrms
Ipeak=I0=Irms(sqrt 2)
I0=npAVdmax
Vdmax=Aw=A(2pif)

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out what equations I had to use, and I placed them above. I started to solve for I0, but I do not know how to find n.

Physics news on Phys.org
SgtMousse said:

Homework Statement

How far does an average electron move along the wires of a 299 W toaster during an alternating current cycle? The power cord has copper wires of diameter 1.7 mm and is plugged into a standard 60 Hz 120 V ac outlet.

Homework Equations

Prms=IrmsVrms
Ipeak=I0=Irms(sqrt 2)
I0=npAVdmax
Vdmax=Aw=A(2pif)

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out what equations I had to use, and I placed them above. I started to solve for I0, but I do not know how to find n.

Hint -- google Copper Conduction Electrons, and you will find some pages that will answer the question about the number n for you...

Related to Electron moving in a Copper Wire

1. How does an electron move in a copper wire?

When a voltage difference is applied to the ends of a copper wire, the electric field created causes the free electrons in the wire to move. These free electrons, also known as conduction electrons, are able to move through the copper wire due to the structure of the copper atoms, which have a loosely bound outer electron. As the electrons move, they collide with the atoms in the wire, transferring energy and causing a flow of electricity.

2. Why does a copper wire make a good conductor?

Copper is a good conductor of electricity because of its atomic structure. It has a high number of free electrons, which are able to move easily through the material. Additionally, the copper atoms are arranged in a regular pattern, allowing for a smooth flow of electrons without much resistance. This makes copper an efficient material for conducting electricity.

3. How fast do electrons move in a copper wire?

The speed at which electrons move in a copper wire can vary, but on average it is around 1 millimeter per second. This may seem slow, but keep in mind that there are trillions of electrons moving in a wire at any given moment, creating a continuous flow of electricity.

4. What happens when an electric current passes through a copper wire?

When an electric current passes through a copper wire, the flow of electrons causes the wire to heat up. This is because as the electrons collide with the atoms in the wire, they transfer energy, which is released as heat. The amount of heat produced depends on the amount of current flowing through the wire and the resistance of the wire itself.

5. Can electrons travel indefinitely in a copper wire?

No, electrons cannot travel indefinitely in a copper wire. As they move through the wire, they constantly collide with the atoms, losing energy and slowing down. Eventually, they will reach the end of the wire and be stopped by the resistance of the material or by the load connected to the wire. This is why a continuous voltage difference is needed to maintain the flow of electricity in a circuit.