Electron movement in conductors

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of understanding an alternative solution in a real conductor, where electrons are constantly colliding with defects and impurities, resulting in a viscosity force. The second law of dynamics and a given electric field equation are used to find the expression for the speed of an electron. However, the solution derived by the individual cannot explain the equation in the answer key, which is a constant velocity with respect to time.
anachin6000
This is not a normal problem help topic. The difficulty I've encountered is in understanding an alternative solution.

1. Homework Statement

In a real conductor, electrons (with mass m), conducted by external electric fields, constantly collide with defects and impurities within the conductor. The average effect of those collisions is similar to a viscosity force ƒ= -mv/τ (ƒ and v have vector hats), where τ is a constant parameter, named collision time.
1. Write the second law of dynamics that helps finding the speed of an electron. Ignore the interactions between electrons.
2. Consider that E(t) = E0 sinωt (E and E0 have vector hats), find the expression for the speed of an electron. Note: it's convenient to use the complex form E(t) = E0 eiωt. You can use e = cosθ +i sinθ.

...(there are other tasks, but they are rather easy)

Homework Equations

ma +mv/τ = qE0 sinωt (a, v, E do not have vector hats)

ma= -mv/τ - qE0 eiωt (a, v, E are vectors)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve the first differential equation (that is the equation I have derived) the classical way (find homogeneous and particular solutions). Tough, in the key, they write the equation in the second form and then they get the next equation:

iωmv= -mv/τ - qE0 (v, E are vectors)

What is the explanation for their equation. I just can't get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
anachin6000 said:
I can solve the first differential equation (that is the equation I have derived) the classical way (find homogeneous and particular solutions). Tough, in the key, they write the equation in the second form and then they get the next equation:

iωmv= -mv/τ - qE0 (v, E are vectors)

What is the explanation for their equation. I just can't get it.

If you solve your above equation for velocity, then you get a function that doesn't change with time. How can you have an acceleration if your velocity is constant with respect to time?

Related to Electron movement in conductors

1. How do electrons move in conductors?

Electrons move through conductors in a process called drift, where they are pushed by an electric field created by a voltage source. They move from areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration.

2. What is the role of free electrons in conductors?

In conductors, free electrons are responsible for carrying electric current. They are able to move freely through the material due to the lack of strong bonds between atoms in the conductor.

3. What factors affect the movement of electrons in conductors?

The movement of electrons in conductors can be affected by factors such as the material of the conductor, temperature, and the strength of the electric field. These factors can impact the speed and direction of electron movement.

4. How does the shape of a conductor affect electron movement?

The shape of a conductor can impact electron movement by affecting the resistance of the material. A longer and thinner conductor will have a higher resistance, which can slow down the movement of electrons.

5. What happens to electrons when they reach the end of a conductor?

When electrons reach the end of a conductor, they must either be absorbed by a component or continue on to another conductor. If there is no path for the electrons to follow, they will build up and create a potential difference, resulting in a static discharge or spark.