Electron in Constant B-Field (Cylindrical Coordinates)

In summary: I think I just assumed the initial conditions were in cartesian coordinates ... but I can check and see if that's the case.In summary, the proton's position at time t is given by the distance vector x(t), the magnetic induction field along the z-axis, \vec{B}=\hat{k}B_{z} and the force \vec{F}=e\vec{v}\times\vec{B}.
Opus_723

Homework Statement

The position of a proton at time t is given by the distance vector

[itex]\vec{r}(t) = \hat{i}x(t) + \hat{j}y(t) + \hat{k}z(t)[/itex]

A magnetic induction field along the z-axis, [itex]\vec{B} = \hat{k}B_{z}[/itex] exerts a force on the proton

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex] = e[itex]\vec{v}[/itex][itex]\times[/itex][itex]\vec{B}[/itex]

a.) For initial conditions:

x(0) = x[itex]_{0}[/itex]
[itex]\dot{x}[/itex](0) = 0
y(0) = 0
[itex]\dot{y}[/itex](0) = v[itex]_{y0}[/itex]
z(0) = 0
[itex]\dot{z}[/itex](0) = v[itex]_{z0}[/itex]

and using cartesian coordinates calculate the orbit of the proton.

b.) Rephrase this entire problem in circular cylindrical coordinates and solve in circular cylindrical coordinates

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I managed to solve it in Cartesian by solving a coupled system of linear differential equations. My result was:

x(t) = [itex]\frac{v_{y0}m}{eB_{z}}cos(\frac{eB_{z}}{m}t) + (x_{0}-\frac{v_{y0}m}{eB_{z}})[/itex]

y(t) = [itex]\frac{v_{y0}m}{eB_{z}}sin(\frac{eB_{z}}{m}t)[/itex]

z(y) = v[itex]_{z0}[/itex]t

But I don't see how to do this in cylindrical coordinates. When I set up the differential equations using Newton's Law, I get:

[itex]\ddot{\rho}-\rho\dot{\varphi}^{2} = \frac{eB_{z}}{m}\rho\dot{\varphi}[/itex]

[itex]\rho\ddot{\varphi}+2\dot{\rho}\dot{\varphi} = \frac{-eB_{z}}{m}\dot{\rho}[/itex]

[itex]\ddot{z} = 0[/itex]

And of course the initial conditions

[itex]\rho(0) = x_{0}[/itex]
[itex]\dot{\rho}(0) = 0[/itex]
[itex]\varphi(0) = 0[/itex]
[itex]\dot{\varphi}(0) = \frac{v_{y0}}{x_{0}}[/itex]
z(0) = 0
[itex]\dot{z}(0) = v_{z0}[/itex]

But those equations are nonlinear, and I don't see any way to do this problem, although I assumed the problem would be easier in cylindrical coordinates because of the symmetry involved. I can see how the solutions for [itex]\rho(t)[/itex] and [itex]\varphi(t)[/itex] could get really weird in the general case where the helix isn't centered on the z-axis. But I don't see how to simplify this particular problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sketch the orbit - exploit the symmetry.

I already know the orbit is a helix. I don't see how that helps me though, unless I just assume that the initial speed is exactly what is needed to center the helix on the z-axis?

The question does not specify a choice of axis though ... why not center your z-axis on the center of the helix?

I thought about that, but it sort of felt like cheating. Sure, I know that the path is going to be circular, and I know that if I move my z-axis so that x[itex]_{0}[/itex] is related to v[itex]_{y0}[/itex] in a particular way then I'll have a constant radius. But moving the z-axis to the right spot requires knowing how the radius of the helix depends on v[itex]_{y0}[/itex]. Which I do know, but heck, if I assume that I have a constant radius and I know the relationship between x[itex]_{0}[/itex] and v[itex]_{y0}[/itex], I've basically solved the problem already. I could describe the orbit from that information alone without any differential equations.

I guess I just wanted to know if there was any way to do this problem without assuming the answer.

Of course you can do it without assuming the answer - it is just easier if you know where it's headed.
Note - the x,y,z version kinda has an origin.
This origin will be displaced from the axis of rotation - you should know the polar equation of a circle whose center is not at the origin. That should give you a clue how things should go.

Is this a physics course or a math course?

However - you do have to do everything from the start and in your attempt you appear to have got ahead of yourself.

You should probably check how you translated the initial conditions:
i.e. you have the radial velocity at t=0 as zero ... but wouldn't that only be true if the z-axis was the axis of rotation? Same with the angular velocity being vy0/x0 ... which appears to assume the turning radius is x0.

How do you convert between cartesian and cylindrical coordinates?

Related to Electron in Constant B-Field (Cylindrical Coordinates)

1. What is an electron in a constant B-field in cylindrical coordinates?

An electron in a constant B-field in cylindrical coordinates refers to the motion of an electron in a uniform magnetic field that is constant in both magnitude and direction. It is described using cylindrical coordinates, which include the radius, angle, and height of the electron's position.

2. How does an electron behave in a constant B-field in cylindrical coordinates?

In a constant B-field, an electron will experience a force perpendicular to both its velocity and the direction of the magnetic field. This force causes the electron to move in a circular path around the axis of the magnetic field, with a constant speed known as the cyclotron frequency.

3. What is the equation for the motion of an electron in a constant B-field in cylindrical coordinates?

The equation for the motion of an electron in a constant B-field in cylindrical coordinates is given by r(t) = r0cos(ωct + ϕ), where r0 is the initial radius of the electron's path, ωc is the cyclotron frequency, t is time, and ϕ is the initial phase.

4. What is the significance of the cyclotron frequency in the motion of an electron in a constant B-field in cylindrical coordinates?

The cyclotron frequency is a very important factor in the motion of an electron in a constant B-field. It determines the speed of the electron's motion, as well as the radius of its circular path. It is also used to calculate the magnetic field strength, as the two are directly proportional.

5. How is the motion of an electron in a constant B-field in cylindrical coordinates relevant in scientific research?

The motion of an electron in a constant B-field in cylindrical coordinates has many applications in scientific research. It is used in particle accelerators to manipulate and control the paths of charged particles. It is also used in scanning electron microscopes to produce images of samples. Additionally, it is used in experiments to study the properties of magnetic fields and the behavior of charged particles in them.