Electron-Hole- or Many-Electron Exchange Interaction

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of electron-hole exchange energy and the desire for a proof of its working and symmetry. The Universal Hamiltonian of the Exchange Interaction is mentioned as a potential source, but it does not explicitly mention electron-hole exchange. The conversation also mentions specific experiments and theories related to this topic, but the individual is seeking more general literature on the subject. The concept of a hole and the role of paired electrons in electron-hole exchange are also discussed.
Nabla94
Hello together,

I'm interested in the electron-hole exchange energy. I would like to see how and have a proof why electron-hole exchange works. Is it symmetric or antisymmetric? More specific, I would like to have a proof that exchange with paired electrons in a molecule can be neglected. However - the more general the better.

In order to proof it, one probably has to regard the many-electron exchange interaction. I found
The Universal Hamiltonian of the Exchange Interaction for the System of Particles with an Arbitrary Spin j - E. Orlenko (2007)
but I don't quite get the notation and they do not mention electron-hole exchange.

I'm grateful for any hint, help or tip for literature.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nabla94 said:
I'm interested in the electron-hole exchange energy.

Where are you getting the concept of "electron-hole exchange" from, and what kinds of experiments are you referring to?

Electron-hole exchange interaction in a biexciton molecule - W.Ungier (1989)
Effective Theory of Electron-Hole Exchange in Semiconductor Quantum Dots - E. S. Kadantsev (2010)

Both are a bit too specific for me.
The triplet-singlet energy splitting in conjugated molecules results from the exchange between them.
Actually, this exchange is a many-electron exchange but
1) The concept of a hole should be able to also deal with the exchange, right?
2) Paired electrons should not contribute too much, since the exchange with one cancelles the other.

Related to Electron-Hole- or Many-Electron Exchange Interaction

1. What is electron-hole exchange interaction?

Electron-hole exchange interaction is a phenomenon in solid-state physics where an electron and a hole (an empty state where an electron can exist) interact with each other through their exchange of spin states.

2. How does electron-hole exchange interaction affect the properties of a material?

This interaction can lead to changes in the optical, electrical, and magnetic properties of a material, as it affects the energy levels and spin states of the electrons and holes present.

3. What is the difference between electron-hole exchange interaction and many-electron exchange interaction?

Electron-hole exchange interaction involves the exchange of spin states between an electron and a hole, while many-electron exchange interaction involves the exchange of spin states between multiple electrons.

4. Can electron-hole exchange interaction be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, electron-hole exchange interaction can be controlled and manipulated through external factors such as temperature, pressure, and electric or magnetic fields.

5. In what types of materials is electron-hole exchange interaction most commonly observed?

Electron-hole exchange interaction is most commonly observed in semiconductors and insulators, as these materials have a large number of electron-hole pairs present due to their band structure.