Electron Heat Capacity Integral

In summary, the answer to this problem is easy to integrate if you use a different substitution for the power of x, but it is more complicated to do than just plugging in the original equation.
Tphysics
1. The answer to this problem is easy when plugged into mathematica it's (pi^2)/3. I am trying to integrate it by hand however and can't figure out how to start it. I also can't find any other attempts of it online (our professor says we can just look it up if we can find it).

[(x^2*E^x)/(E^x + 1)^2, {x, -Infinity, Infinity}]

2. No equations

3. I've tried U-sub with setting U= (e^x+1) and then tried some integration by parts but I'm not getting there.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 6.05.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 6.05.31 PM.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 527
Physics news on Phys.org
Tphysics said:
1. The answer to this problem is easy when plugged into mathematica it's (pi^2)/3. I am trying to integrate it by hand however and can't figure out how to start it. I also can't find any other attempts of it online (our professor says we can just look it up if we can find it).

[(x^2*E^x)/(E^x + 1)^2, {x, -Infinity, Infinity}]

2. No equations

3. I've tried U-sub with setting U= (e^x+1) and then tried some integration by parts but I'm not getting there.

This actually turns out to be very complicated to do and I am having trouble giving hints that you can follow without giving too much of the answer away, so please bear with me. At least using Mathematica seems like a legitimate solution to the problem and I don't believe that many people would expect an undergrad to come up with the solution below on their own.

First, integrals of functions of ##x^n## times exponentials can often be done by replacing ##e^x## by ##e^{a x}## and then noting that ##d/da(e^{ax}) = x e^{ax}##, so we try to replace the powers of ##x## with derivatives of another expression. Then we can exploit this by bringing the derivative outside of the integral. For example
$$\int dx ~ x e^x = \left[ \frac{d}{da} \int dx~e^{ax} \right]_{a=1},$$
which you should be able to verify by doing both integrals explicitly.

In your case, we can use
$$ \frac{x^2 e^x}{(e^x+1)^2} = \left[ \frac{d^2}{da^2} \ln ( 1+ e^{ax})\right]_{a=1}.$$
Furthermore, we can determine the indefinite integral
$$ \int dx \ln ( 1+ e^{ax}) $$
in terms of the dilogarithm function (see for instance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spence's_function)
$$\text{Li}_2(z) = - \int^z_0 \frac{du}{u} \ln ( 1-u).$$

The big difficulty here is that the dilogarithm is infinite as ##z\rightarrow -\infty##, so the naive substitution for your integral over the whole real axis will result in a divergent integral. (The dilogarithm is also usually not defined for ##1 \leq z < \infty##, but I believe that the proper substitutions keep us on the negative real axis.) However, I believe that it is possible to show that the definite integral
$$ F(a) =\int_{-\infty}^0 dx \ln ( 1+ e^{ax}) $$
exists. So we should break your original integral into two parts, then the answer can be expressed as the appropriate derivative of ##F(a)+F(-a)##.

It will probably be important to use the results (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spence's_function#Special_values) ##\text{Li}_2(-1)=-\pi^2/12## and ##\text{Li}_2(0)=0.##

Thanks but this is math I am completely unfamiliar with. It ended up being doable also with a contour integral.

SOLVED.

Attachments

• Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 422
I drew it terribly above but you catch my drift.

Tphysics said:
I drew it terribly above but you catch my drift.

Sure, I didn't seriously consider suggesting the contour integral because it is a bit rare to find someone comfortable with the method. I probably should have asked first. It's good that you were able to work it out yourself that way.

Related to Electron Heat Capacity Integral

What is the Electron Heat Capacity Integral?

The Electron Heat Capacity Integral is a mathematical formula used to calculate the total amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a material by a certain amount, specifically for electrons in a solid material.

How is the Electron Heat Capacity Integral calculated?

The formula for the Electron Heat Capacity Integral is Ce = kB x Te, where Ce is the heat capacity, kB is the Boltzmann constant, and Te is the electron temperature.

What is the significance of the Electron Heat Capacity Integral in materials science?

The Electron Heat Capacity Integral is an important factor in understanding the thermal properties of materials, particularly in electronic devices. It helps us determine how much heat a material can handle before it reaches its maximum temperature, which is crucial for designing and optimizing electronic devices.

How does the Electron Heat Capacity Integral differ from the specific heat capacity?

The specific heat capacity, also known as the specific heat, is a measure of the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a material by a certain amount. It is a property of the entire material, while the Electron Heat Capacity Integral specifically measures the heat capacity of electrons in a material.

Can the Electron Heat Capacity Integral be measured experimentally?

Yes, the Electron Heat Capacity Integral can be measured experimentally by conducting calorimetry experiments. These experiments involve applying a known amount of heat to a material and measuring the resulting change in temperature. By manipulating the formula for the Electron Heat Capacity Integral, the heat capacity can be calculated.