Electron energy and mass given, find velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the velocity of an electron with energy 1.5 MeV/c and a mass of 0.5 MeV. The correct formula to use is the special relativity equation for total energy, which results in a velocity of 2.828x1010 cm/s, closely matching option b) as the correct answer.
JonNash

Homework Statement

For an electron having energy 1.5MeV/c (mass of an electron is 0.5MeV), the velocity is given by?
a) 2.92x1010 cm/sec
b) 2.81x1010 cm/sec
c) 2.75x1010 cm/sec
d) 2.50x1010 cm/sec

Homework Equations

Kinetic Energy = 0.5mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I first converted energy into joules and mass into kg. E=2.4032x10-13 and mass = 8.91331x10-31. Then I put it into the equation for kinetic energy and solved for v which yields the result v = 7.3432x1010 cm/s which is not among the choices. Then I observed that energy is not given in simply eV, at the end there is MeV/c. I am unable to understand what this means. It would unbalance the units on RHS. Is there another formula to be used instead of KE and what does MeV/c mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
The electron is moving at a relativistic speed, you can't use the Newtonian kinetic energy formula.

In special relativity, the total energy of a particle is ##E=\frac{m_{0}c^{2}}{\sqrt{1-v^{2}/c^{2}}}##, where ##m_{0}## is the rest mass of the particle and ##v## is the velocity. From this you can solve the velocity when the total energy is known.

It's not so clear what's given. It depends on how you define what's meant with
"an electron having energy 1.5MeV" (btw. it must be MeV if it's supposed to be an energy, MeV/c is the unit for a momentum). It could mean that the electron has a kinetic energy of 1.5 MeV. Then you have to use
[tex]E_{\text{kin}}=m_0 c^2 \left ( \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}-1 \right )[/tex]
or it could mean it has relativistic total energy, including the rest energy, i.e.,
[tex]E=\frac{m_0 c^2}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}.[/tex]
So the first thing is to check, which of the quantities is really given.

Likes 1 person
hilbert2 said:
The electron is moving at a relativistic speed, you can't use the Newtonian kinetic energy formula.

In special relativity, the total energy of a particle is ##E=\frac{m_{0}c^{2}}{\sqrt{1-v^{2}/c^{2}}}##, where ##m_{0}## is the rest mass of the particle and ##v## is the velocity. From this you can solve the velocity when the total energy is known.

I solved it with the formula you gave and I got a complex number
v=√-81x1052

vanhees71 said:
It's not so clear what's given. It depends on how you define what's meant with
"an electron having energy 1.5MeV" (btw. it must be MeV if it's supposed to be an energy, MeV/c is the unit for a momentum). It could mean that the electron has a kinetic energy of 1.5 MeV. Then you have to use
[tex]E_{\text{kin}}=m_0 c^2 \left ( \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}-1 \right )[/tex]
or it could mean it has relativistic total energy, including the rest energy, i.e.,
[tex]E=\frac{m_0 c^2}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}.[/tex]
So the first thing is to check, which of the quantities is really given.

I solved it with kinetic energy too and I got v=0. Ugghh...

From the formula of total energy, you can solve that the elctron speed is

##v=c\sqrt{1-\frac{m_{0}^{2}c^{4}}{E^{2}}}## .

There's no way how this could give a complex-valued speed. The total energy ##E## is always larger than or equal to the rest mass energy ##m_ {0}c^{2}##, therefore the number inside the square root must be positive.

Also note that the electron mass is given in natural units, where it has dimensions of energy. When we say "##m_{0}=0.5## MeV" we actually mean "##m_{0}c^{2}=0.5## Mev".

Likes 1 person
hilbert2 said:
Also note that the electron mass is given in natural units, where it has dimensions of energy. When we say "##m_{0}=0.5## MeV" we actually mean "##m_{0}c^{2}=0.5## Mev".

Ohkay. Mass = m0c2 = 0.5MeV. Armed with this when I solved I got √8x1010cm/s as the velocity which translates to 2.828x1010cm/s which closely matches option b). Thanks hilbert2.

Last edited:
The root of 8*19^10 cm is 2,828E+05 It is some years ago. probably everybody knows already. I just want to be sure about this. It does not match any of the given values.

Related to Electron energy and mass given, find velocity

1. How are electron energy and mass related to its velocity?

The velocity of an electron is directly proportional to its energy and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that an increase in energy will result in an increase in velocity, while an increase in mass will lead to a decrease in velocity.

2. Can the velocity of an electron be calculated if its energy and mass are known?

Yes, the velocity of an electron can be calculated using the formula v = √(2E/m), where v is the velocity, E is the energy, and m is the mass. This formula is derived from the equation for kinetic energy, KE = 1/2 mv^2, where KE is the energy, m is the mass, and v is the velocity.

3. What units are used to measure electron energy and mass?

Electron energy is typically measured in electron volts (eV), while electron mass is measured in kilograms (kg). Other common units for energy include joules (J) and kilojoules (kJ), while mass can also be measured in grams (g) or atomic mass units (amu).

4. How does the velocity of an electron change with an increase in energy?

As mentioned earlier, an increase in energy will result in an increase in velocity. However, the relationship between energy and velocity is not linear. This means that a small increase in energy will result in a larger increase in velocity, and a large increase in energy will result in a smaller increase in velocity.

5. Is there a limit to the velocity of an electron?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light, approximately 3 x 10^8 m/s, is the maximum speed that any object can reach. Since electrons are particles with mass, they cannot reach the speed of light. However, they can still reach very high velocities, close to the speed of light, in certain conditions such as in particle accelerators.